The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:55 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hello,

I am upgrading my GTX 680 to a GTX 980 ti.

When I swapped the cards and restarted the computer, GIGABYTE's menu screen appears, but I am not able to enter any of the utilities, it does not boot into Windows (10, 64 bit) - and it then moves onto a black screen with a blinking cursor. Eventually, it shuts down.

I plugged back the old video card and went to GIGABYTE's site and downloaded BIOS versions F16 and F20, for rev 1.0 of the motherboard (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product ... px?pid=4...). The motherboard is currently on BIOS F10.

Saved the files on a USB drive, went into the BIOS flash utility options. The USB drive, with the files appear, but when I select them, I am told that these files are out of date and to go to the manufacturer's site to get the latest versions.

I initially tried to update the BIOS from Win 10, but an error message appeared stating that files are 16 bit and required 64 bit versions to run properly.

I contacted GIGABYTE support a few hours ago, no reply yet - so, I figured I'd reach out to some online communities to get some direction.

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:31 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Your link to Gigabyte is fouled.. "site URL error".
Hold off on the BIOS change until you get new drivers for the GTX 980 ti. Win 10 is more finicky about changes to hardware and features than other Windows versions.. and may sense change of a feature as infringement to the EULA.
Ensure the GTX 980 ti has the required additional power connections. It does require 250 watts of power! Then try again.
Is your PSU capable of total system needs?
Windows should be able to get proper drivers through its hardware update process.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... gtx-980-ti