The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:18 am

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:56 pm 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

:( So I needed to use my laptop to play a video. But it was giving my a hard time. The Anti-virus nag screen for Vista was showing. The little red shield. It needed to update, so I clicked to update. From what I could see, nothing was happening. So I tried to download & update FreeAVG. I've used that for years w/o issues. I went to the FreeAVG website, and downloaded the latest version. When I tried to launch the FreeAVG exe nothing happened. Eventually my browser(s)
SeaMonkey & FireFox crashed. At the same time my laptop battery was at less than 3%.

I tried plugging in my laptop, and doing a hard reboot (holding down power). I pressed power again, lights go on, I hear the HDD spinning but nothing loads up. :( I also tried removing the battery for a few minutes, then replacing it. I plugged it back in, and still no luck. :(

But how do I remedy this problem?

Last edited by BIGMAN131307 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:20 pm 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

I managed to get the laptop to boot.

I removed the battery, pressed the power button for 30 seconds, then plugged the power cord in. I started up the laptop without the battery. "It seemed to load up fine".

So I tried downloading a newer copy of Free AVG. After it installed, I tried to remove the older copy of Free AVG, but my laptop froze. :(

What could be causing this issue?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:55 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

CPU overheating due to thermal compound drying out completely, or most likely fan and heat sink gummed up with dust. I would ditch Vista completely, get rid of the hard drive if it is SATA and replace it with an SSD, then install a free operating system like Ubuntu or Debian to keep it up to date.

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

Last edited by Mr T on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:22 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Mr T wrote:
CPU overheating due to thermal compound drying out completely, or most likely fan and heat sink gummed up with dust. I would ditch Vista completely, get rid of the hard drive if it is SATA and replace it with an SSD, the install a free operating system like Ubuntu or Debian to keep it up to date.

CPU - laptop so I can't check that.
Fan - I'll try cleaning/vacuum them.
Vista - A possibility, but that will be more of a headache for me.
SATA - laptop so I can't change it, at least the internal one.

I'll try fixing what I can. I will also look at a couple distros to replace Vista. I only use that laptop for browsing the web, video playback. Other than that it's a paperweight to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:46 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Replacing hard drive is pretty easy on laptops. Cheap SSD (Kingston, SANDISK) 120Gb are about $20. Ubuntu = free and you can run whatever browser you want on it apart from Edge or Safari. Can also run KODI and VLC to play videos, but install Ubuntu_restricted_extras (codecs to play DVD).

Dust usually gets between the heatsink and the fan forming a foam like layer (bad design of the hetasink). Blow it out with some canned air if you see it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:27 pm 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Any good distros for a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5915 ?? Do I need a 32 or 64 bit?

Just something for web browsing, listening to audio, watching videos, nothing to elaborate. A few included games are also fine.
I would like it to have a Windows feel (start menu in the lover left corner, etc)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:55 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Your CPU is 64bit so you will be able to run an up to date distro. I would get cheap SSD and upgrade the RAM (if you haven't already done so) to 4Gb (2 x 2GB DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 SODIMM) cost about $13 which will improve speed. Distro wise for the windows look and feel, ZorinOS is good another is q4OS64 - but they are definitely not windows.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:32 pm 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Mr T wrote:
Your CPU is 64bit so you will be able to run an up to date distro. I would get cheap SSD and upgrade the RAM (if you haven't already done so) to 4Gb (2 x 2GB DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 SODIMM) cost about $13 which will improve speed. Distro wise for the windows look and feel, ZorinOS is good another is q4OS64 - but they are definitely not windows.

:? Are you sure?

That's not how I read it from the specs:
https://support.dynabook.com/support/st ... Link=false
https://usermanual.com/document/10670/t ... ation.html

As for distros I already downloaded 32bit ISO and burned discs for:

antiX-17.4.1_386-full
bionicpup32-8.0-uefi
bodhi-5.0.0-legacy
debian-10.1.0-i386-netinst
Feren OS x32
kubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-i386
linuxmint-19.2-cinnamon-32bit
linuxmint-19.2-mate-32bit
linuxmint-19.2-xfce-32bit
lubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-i386
Mageia-7.1-Live-Xfce-i586
MX-18.3_386
OpenMandrivaLx.3.03-PLASMA.i586
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-i586-Snapshot20191003-Media
Peppermint-10-20190514-i386
sparkylinux-5.8-i686-xfce
trisquel_8.0_i686
ubuntu-16.04.6-desktop-i386
Zorin-OS-12.4-Lite-32

How are those choices? I've tried a few before, but don't remember which I preferred.
I was going to test the LIVE DVD's on my PC first. Then narrow down to the "few" that I wouldn't mind on my laptop. I don't really want to invest money in the laptop. I only use it occasionally, and it's more of a chore than convenience. :roll:

I am trying to run a Live DVD of OpenSUSE. But I am stuck at the boot screen. The screen looks like the one here:
https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/ ... eters.html

"Figure 2.1: The Boot Screen on Machines with a Traditional BIOS"

Boot from Hard Disk
Installation
Upgrade
More ... >

I just want to test it out, not install.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:33 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Intel Ark Celeron M575 says Intel 64 and instruction set 64bit, so it must be 64bit. Most distro's have gone 64bit to cover security within browsers and other updates. There was a lot of fuss when Ubuntu was going to drop 32bit binaries which meant Steam wouldn't work (requires 32bit binaries for older games), I believe Ubuntu has relented.. If you are starting off with Linux, look at Linux Mint, Ubuntu, ZorinOS and possibly Peppermint. They have good support and you can install most things pretty easily. All I can say, is best of luck and if you need a hand with anything let me know and I will do my best to help or at least point you in the right direction.

P.S. I just saw your bit at the bottom about OpenSUSE, I would avoid at this stage as I have had a few problems with it, especially installing bog standard programs and the last major updates borked my VM(Virtual Machine) install. Also some now may struggle with a legacy BIOS (Ubuntu and Mint don't), I don't know why, but they look for a UEFI BIOS for some reason.

P.P.S. You can create a Multiboot pendrive with YUMI - this is great if you want to test and install different distros to see if it works with your hardware (and very useful for system and data recovery).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:36 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Mr T wrote:
Intel Ark Celeron M575 says Intel 64 and instruction set 64bit, so it must be 64bit. Most distro's have gone 64bit to cover security within browsers and other updates. There was a lot of fuss when Ubuntu was going to drop 32bit binaries which meant Steam wouldn't work (requires 32bit binaries for older games), I believe Ubuntu has relented.. If you are starting off with Linux, look at Linux Mint, Ubuntu, ZorinOS and possibly Peppermint. They have good support and you can install most things pretty easily. All I can say, is best of luck and if you need a hand with anything let me know and I will do my best to help or at least point you in the right direction.

P.S. I just saw your bit at the bottom about OpenSUSE, I would avoid at this stage as I have had a few problems with it, especially installing bog standard programs and the last major updates borked my VM(Virtual Machine) install. Also some now may struggle with a legacy BIOS (Ubuntu and Mint don't), I don't know why, but they look for a UEFI BIOS for some reason.

P.P.S. You can create a Multiboot pendrive with YUMI - this is great if you want to test and install different distros to see if it works with your hardware (and very useful for system and data recovery).

Ok so I tried booted each live dvd. Some loaded, some didn't (or took too long). A few booted, but I wasn't sure about the boot menu selections.

The ones that booted up were:

Peppermint-10-20190514-i386
Zorin-OS-12.4-Lite-32
ubuntu-16.04.6-desktop-i386
lubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-i386
kubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-i386
Feren OS x32

I like the look/feel of Peppermint. So I downloaded a 64bit ISO to burn. The only thing I may have issues with is the WIFI setup for my laptop. Is there anything specific I need to do to get it working with Linux?