Help Reset BIOS without USB on stick PC!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Help Reset BIOS without USB on stick PC!

Postby Twisty » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Hello's

I've managed to disable USB in BIOS of Ideacentre stick so am trying to work out how to reset BIOS without access to USB keyboard/mouse!

I just got the Lenovo Ideacentre stick 300 (Intel compute stick clone) and thought it would be a good platform to test out Windows 10, so I tried to upgrade but I hit problems with the install (upgrade freeze at 84%, ISO clean install came up with missing driver error).

So I had a poke around in the BIOS to see if changing any settings would help and I disabled USB 3.0 support which is supposed to revert to USB 2.0, however now USB is totally non functioning!

I've got a bluetooth keyboard paired with the stick so I can still log into and use windows. I tried to do a BIOS reflash but this fails, even though I've turned off version checking in the config file, presumably because it is trying to flash through the USB!

I've pulled apart the stick, disconnected the battery, shorted out the battery terminals, and connected VCC-Gnd on the two on board flash chips. However, this appeared to have no impact, it didn't even reset the clock!

I can use UEFI to go into the BIOS settings page but selecting Advanced BIOS settings does a reset and I lose bluetooth so unable to navigate any further. I suspect if I do 'reset my PC to factory settings' then it'll reinstall the OS from service partition but not affect the BIOS leaving me fully locked out (bluetooth would not be paired in fresh OS).

SO I am completely stumped, Any ideas? Hopefully there is some kind of Windows Insyde UEFI CMOS editor somewhere?
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: Help Reset BIOS without USB on stick PC!

Postby Mr T » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:38 pm

Loads of people have been having this issue with the lenovo stick trying to upgrade to win 10 and failing at 84% - just read Amazon! Most have sent them back... Have you tried reflashing BIOS from an SD card using a USB keyboard/mouse?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Twisty » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:38 pm

I saw those comments on Amazon, but I was trying to find a method that allowed me to do a clean install rather than the very long method of installing win 8.1 updates->update to win10->fresh win10 install. Anyway win10 is on the backburner until I get USB back up and running.

USB is non existent until I can access BIOS, no USB controller featuring in Device manager, hence the difficulty changing BIOS settings back as can only navigate the BIOS using USB input.

I have access to SDcard and internal storage but reflashing BIOS does not to work, I presume because the internal flashing process involves USB connection to flash chip.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:00 am

Maybe this link might help?
Note about a "hybrid" shutdown vs. a "full" shutdown..
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht076906
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:31 am

Thanks for looking, unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem. The root problem is I have no USB, and as bluetooth is only active in full OS environment I have no way of inputting/navigating at POST/BIOS in order to turn USB back on - I need some way of initiating a change to the setting or clearing the CMOS from within windows where I have bluetooth.

Currently the stick is sitting in a drawer with the battery disconnected. I am hoping that if I leave it for a week the CMOS/clock will reset drain down and then go to default settings when I power it up again.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Hope that "sleep" cycle works. Just hope there is no backup CMOS battery buried somewhere inside.
Not much tech specs available on it.. just performance and how to connect/use it.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:05 am

Send it back to Lenovo for a reinstall of windows 8.1 then wait for someone to figure out a safe way to install windows 10 on this thing. So far it seems to work if you do not keep any programs or settings during the install but seeing that many problems, stikc witj 8.1 for now.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:50 am

Here is a thought, as the BIOS is UEFI, can you not boot to troubleshoot, then in Advanced options there should be the option to alter your UEFI BIOS settings?

I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Did find a link for Lenovo as to how to recover the Ideacentre stick 300.
There is a video, but my Adobe Flash won't play it. Yes, latest version.
You may have seen this.. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/videos/vid100556
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:24 am

I tried the stick after leaving the internal battery disconnected for 48hrs but still no reset.

Now will leave it for a few weeks before I try again, I am hoping that it just needs several days for the voltage to dip enough to reset the cmos, after all there must be a reason for the internal battery being there!

I will try the holding the power button down for 10+ seconds trick but I am pretty sure that will just invoke a standard hard shutdown.

I do appreciate your efforts, however all other solutions mentioned thus far were described in the prior troubleshooting which I outlined in my 1st post on this thread.
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to Tech Support