The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:54 pm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:02 pm 
Black Belt
Black Belt

Whenever I get stuck that way with a mobo I do the following:

- put together PSU, MOBO and CPU only, turn on shortcircuiting the Power SW pins in the mobo, If everything is normal U must get the beeps indicating no memory is present, turn off the PC

-put the first memory stick in slot 1 bank 0, turn on again, there must be only the short beep indicating that is OK, turn off

- put the monitor to the onboard VGA port (or whatever kind of VGA conector U have) turn the PC off, u must get the short beep and have a video signal in ur monitor, turn off

- repeat the process inserting only one stick of ram at a time, if everything seems to be at this point try pairing the ram sticks, complete first bank 0 the bank 1

- if still working insert the VGA card, if U have one, and see what happens

- if it´s fine, connect keyboard and mouse, turn on and get into the bios, check all the options that u want to change, reboot, turn off

- attach the sytem harddrives and try to boot

- if succeed, turn off, attach the other HDD´s and finally the system must come to live

if u start getting the erros in some of the previous steps, report to us to see how we can help

-The Police-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:09 pm 
Black Belt
Black Belt

in the event of the BSOD errors, please, try to write out the suspect, e.g ntoskrnl.sys or whatever it is, it can help to trap the error

-The Police-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:47 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Son of a [bleep]... Would you look at that. My good man I believe you solved it. CPU-z did indeed show me that the two sets were running at different frequencies and a different latency. Took the extra 4GB and it booted straight up with no watchdog timeout. I'm getting POST beeps, and my motherboard gives me a 2 digit code but I can't seem to figure those out. The code flashes by so quickly I can't tell what gets a beep and what doesn't. Two beeps are normal high pitch, one is low, the last is high. The sequence seems to be short short (small break) long (small break) short beep. Anyone have a direction to point for that?

Quite a few questions actually. So the old version of the BIOS didn't see or care about the difference in my two sets of RAM? But now the new one does? And apparently I'm confused somewhere in additional memory. I know it has to be the same type DDR3-1600. And now the frequency has to match up... Does the latency have to match up too? Please, correct me where I'm wrong. I'd rather know for next time, ya know?

And thank you so much for the help! All of you!

Edit: Had to [bleep] out one word that is not polite!
..Karlsweldt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:02 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Sometimes, the simple way of diagnostics is easiest.
With memory modules, the older single-channel designs were more forgiving. But the slowest module still had to be in the first detected slot so all others were at the same speed. With dual- or triple-channel memory setups, the same is still true about setting the slowest module as the timing mark. But RAS, CAS and latency have to be identical in both channels. This is why 'matched pairs' or 'matched trios' is preferred for newer memory designs. Even if latency is off by only two ticks, that can cause repeated memory paging errors. Then rolling reboots, BSOD or freezes can occur.
Latency refers to the timed period where a memory page is addressed, read or written to, before the next CAS or RAS strobe cycle is timed to start. Memory latency count of this brief "window" being lower is better than a higher latency count. But with the memory controller, a higher latency count is better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

Normally, one short beep is heard when the POST process finishes good. If extra beeps are heard, there could be a conflict of device assignments. Check all BIOS pages, if any feature on-board is duplicated by a device card, disable the on-board device. Some BIOS versions still list an assignment for a modem. If not used, disable or turn off that assignment. With audio cards, there may be a game port association.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:57 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

The suggestions are great! I will have to gut the system and put it together piece by piece again to see what's causing that beeping pattern. Hmm... I checked through the BIOS but didn't see any issues, and I think the beeps are happening really early in POST. It happens before the monitor even responds or shows any information. I did however disable every controller I wasn't using, but that had no success, will it cause any performance boost to not have those going? Nothing significant, but anything?

Never was smart enough to put the thing together piece by piece. When I originally built it, I just threw it all in and turned it on. I guess we learn with each build and each experience.

When I was getting the BSOD I recognized the codes (0x005 and 0x01E) but I never thought to even look at the file reporting trouble. Guess that could help narrow it down, again another good thing to learn and know :)

So the memory does have to match in latency now-a-days huh? Interesting... I can see why its best to buy the same make, model, manufacturer etc of RAM. Another good thing to know! Thank you everyone! This is a fantastic forum!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:47 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

You can always Google an error code string to get an idea of what may be wrong.
For what I found, the MS site notes it could be a hardware conflict, third-party driver, or other cause.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/183169
Check all BIOS pages to ensure no device is duplicated, and a non-used device is disabled. This eliminates the BIOS and POST pre-boot configuration conflicts. With some device conflicts, can be significant problems. But with most, barely noted or minimal. With some motherboards having on-board video and a video card slot, there may be an obscure jumper that needs to be set. Check the user manual. For the BIOS page concerning video, ensure the desired device (AGP, PCI, PCI-E, other) is set as priority.
If using a USB keyboard/mouse setup, ensure the "legacy" USB feature is enabled.
Go into Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. There you can find a full roster of all system events, and check the 'properties' of each event flagged as an error, for details.
The BIOS configuration and POST process have to complete before a normal screen image is had. But the first screen comes at the start of those processes, denoting BIOS creation date and some system features. Known as the 'logo' screen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:18 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

So... according to EVGA the beeps are normal:

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmvie ... aqid=59134

I'm not 100% sure if it's beeping on that number, but once I removed my 4 usb devices I got two very soft beeps, probably one error, and one successful POST. I guess the beeps are a "feature". So i'm down to 2 beeps, and with the help i've received here i'm sure I can handle it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help, never had this computer as optimized as it is today.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:59 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

If a USB device is left connected when a system shuts down, then removed, the BIOS and OS can find an error at it not being there. Best to remove USB storage devices if not required at startup, before shutdown. For wireless or hub USB features, they should be left connected as part of the startup roster.
Check the Administrative Tools/Event Viewer to see if there is an 'info' or 'error' listing.