The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:50 pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:25 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hello,

Recently I decided to update my BIOS and chipset firmware on my p55 657 mobo (to the latest drivers), but since then I can't get through POST without error. Unfortunately I cannot see the full error, it only shows up as chdog timeout, but I can only assume it's saying watchdog timeout. If I press F2 and let it load defaults, I can get to Windows 7 and have no problems.

But I have a solid state drive, and I need the IDE configuration to turn SATA into AHCI for everything to function correctly. Upon any reboot it will have an error and force me to reconfigure the BIOS, even if i've made no changes. I updated the BIOS twice and the chipset just to be sure they loaded in correctly, I've turned Vdroop off, i've forced the frequency to 1066, but nothing will get past it. I would go back on my BIOS, but I don't know what version I had and i'd rather be up to date. Oh, and i've checked the device manager, even the hidden devices but this installation of Windows is only a few months old with stock network drivers and one wireless NIC driver.

If that wasn't enough, i've had problems just booting now. I can soft boot or hard boot and wait anywhere from 10 seconds to a full minute before I hear beeps and see visual feedback. I have a mouse that has an LED backlight, and during the minute I can wait for POST I can see the LED faintly flash every few seconds, then it will glow bright, dim down, and everything will start to boot. Been a lovely few days.

Does anyone have any idea how to get this computer back to proper working order? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you for reading.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:04 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Welcome to Motherboards org.
One final step anytime a BIOS is updated is to ensure the default status is reset.
The proper way to do this is to pull the mains power, attempt a few starts to drain the PSU reserves, then use the provided CLR CMOS jumper for 10 seconds or so. Or remove the battery for about 2 minutes, if no jumper.
This will reset all controls and features to default of the present BIOS version.
Then reverse the process, boot up and go into the BIOS first to reset all features as to how the system is set up.
For memory timings, best to use the SPD factor. If any on-board devices are not in use, disable same.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:49 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Thank you for the welcome and the quick response!

I found my board had a Clear CMOS button, so I shutdown everything and held the external button, computer restarted, gave me the same error. Set everything back for the hard drive, windows booted up fine.

Restarted the PC to make sure, and after 60 seconds (again) it POSTed the normal error. Hit F2, windows loaded some files, crashed the computer. Hard reset the computer, waited, hit F2, started windows normally, here I am.

During one of the boots it got stuck loading the memory, I couldn't tell where (the screen cuts off some of the words) but it only happened once. I'm thinking of taking out the sticks of ram and testing it with one or two, seeing if any one of them show an issue. Maybe use memcheck if i can't come to a conclusion.

Any other suggestions?

Also if you should reset the BIOS after updating, what would you do on a laptop? I'm not on one, but would one have to undo the back and dig down until they find the jumper?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:42 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

The BIOS battery in all computers is only a redundant backup for when no external power is provided to the PSU or by 'power brick' charger. At all other times, the PSU or charger provides power for the BIOS and CMOS needs. With most systems, using the jumper itself does revert all settings to default in a few seconds. For others, it may be required to do the extended routine. Yes, a laptop would need to be partly disassembled in order to access the CLR CMOS jumper. Most times, just the keypad removal. In some designs, there is no jumper with 3 pins.. just two solder dots that need to be bridged for a few seconds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:51 am 
Black Belt
Black Belt

are U booting with some USB devices attached?

If so try to boot with no USB devices, even the keyboard and mouse, and see what happens

-The Police-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:39 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I have not taken out the USB devices yet, but its worth a shot I suppose.

I'm getting more issues though. I tried to boot up my PC for the first time today and it just hung. So I held down the power and tried again. It got stuck on the BIOS splash screen! I've never seen it get stuck that quickly off a boot. Other times it will boot straight into windows quicker then i've ever seen. I'd say it boots quickly once out of every fifteen boot attempts or so. The other fourteen are hang ups, watchdog timeouts, windows loading files and crashing (no windows graphic), or a very rare (only happened twice out of... 50 boots?) a blue screen. I do believe one was 0x005, and I still need to test the memory sticks individually. The other I think was 0x01E. Wonder if I have the diagnostic disc still.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:54 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

If you can get into the BIOS pages, ensure the memory timings are set with the SPD factor (auto). There may be a note about latency needing a manual setting. Do as recommended. If no cure, then do test each module by itself.
With dual channel memory setups, all modules must be identical as to timings and amount. Brands are compatible, mostly.
If one module is slower than others, ensure it is in the first detected slot (bank 0, slot 0). For single-channel memory designs, modules can be different amounts, but the other factors still apply.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:50 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

cheap fix to try first: change the CMOS battery. If too low all kinds of strange things can happen if between boots the CMOS only keeps half of the bits in the settings.

check your power supply for bad capacitors. http://www.badcaps.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:18 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I pulled the USB cords out, same things happened. Some hangs, some immediate boots, lots of crashes.

There are four sticks of ram, two sets. I'm pretty sure they are in their correct slots, but its getting to the point where I have to test them. I'm going to change a few settings tomorrow and see what happens, probably end up having to take everything out and test it all one by one.

The CMOS battery might be an issue? But everything has been fine, it was upon the reboot after updating my BIOS setting. I wish you wouldn't have mentioned burnt capacitors, that's one of the major things i'm fearing.

Found some cd's, one had the original motherboard drivers but no diagnostics. Windows was able to get its files together and run a startup test! At the end it couldn't fix it, but it claimed there was a bad driver, no real specification as to what driver or company. Just updated my video drivers today to be sure.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:55 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Quote:
There are four sticks of ram, two sets.

Check each module by itself, from the BIOS page for memory timings. All should be the same timings. Amount of memory can be different, as long as all memory channels (dual, triple) have the same amount.
There is a small freeware diagnostics program, called "CPU-Z", that can work within the OS arena. Displays memory module settings and other system info. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html