The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:38 am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:51 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hello everyone. I was a member on here before, but couldn't login under my old name.

I bought a Dual Xeon E5-2687 with 16 x 2gb sticks of ram. It is mounted in an istarusa 4u server case. The mother board is an X9-DRi-F by Super Micro. I tried installing nvidia drivers for a card I was going to use, and the system froze up. I turned the power off because ctrl-alt-del wouldn't work and it was totally frozen. when i started it back up, it did NOTHING. I removed the cmos battery and then tried shorting out the cmos clear like the manual said, but it did nothing. I removed everything extra and it doesn't even beep on startup no post no video nothing! I am not sure what else to try.

Can anyone help me fix this so i can continue using my server? Thank you so much in advance!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:51 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Welcome back. Best if you PM either evasive or Toby B about the login problem.
May be some fault in how the BIOS was set, and now the only way to clear errors is to pull the PSU power plug, attempt a few starts to drain any reserves. Then remove the BIOS battery, and set the CLR CMOS jumper for about 15 seconds.
Possible the motherboard may have bad capacitors.. look over all to note if any have domed tops, lean excessively or show leakage signs. More info at www.badcaps.net/
If the PSU comes on but no life signs, remove and replace the memory modules and video card plus other device cards. Check that the CPU coolers are plugged to their headers. May be some 4-pin power sockets on the board, they must be connected to the PSU. If the video card has a power socket on its inner edge, that too needs to be connected to the PSU.
Do a voltage check on the main power plug, using a black wire as common. All voltages should be within +/- 2% nominal. The -12 volt source can be off by 2 volts and still be good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:38 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Is there a reason why it wouldn't power on after updating the drivers for Nvidia card? It worked fine before that which leads me to believe the motherboard itself is fine. It powers up and the motherboard gets power. I also see lights come on the mobo, so it is working IMO. The cpu coolers start whirring and the case fans, it just doesn't go further. I tried clearing the cmos, but that didn't work.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:53 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

what i don't get is why nvidia drivers triggered this? I saw LOTS of posts about their drivers screwing up pcs. the nvidia guy claims my computer just happened to go bad at the same time..... i doubt it.

is there any way to update the bios without it posting?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:00 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

The keyboard LEDs are a basic diagnostics tool. They flash once or twice on powering up, then about 5 seconds later, another flash. That is the POST process going through all the critical steps. If no second flash, then a critical error has stopped the POST process and halts the start up sequence.
In instances like this, good to have a POST diagnostics card. They display a two-character code for each of the POST steps.. and if a set 'hangs' that is where to start sleuthing. Some are less than $30.00 USD, pro models can go beyond $200.00.
If using a router or cable hub, watch the 'busy' lights. If flashing, data is active. If not, then the system is likely frozen.
Do check that all device cards, memory and power connections are proper.
Was that driver specifically for the video card model, and gotten from an authentic site, free of possible malware?
Have you tried the "F8" key taps on starting, to get the alternate start process?
Can you get into the BIOS pages at least?
Voltage check good at the ATX power plug?
One lead, the PG or 'power good' signal (gray wire), should be at +5 volts after the PSU load has stabilized. This keys the system timers and oscillators into action. If less than maybe +4.8 volts, that could cause a no-start condition. Check only with a digital meter, so as not to load the circuit. Could be a problem with a faulty motherboard or component or the PSU.
There was a problem with early non-lead solders having tin in the formula. The tin could grow tiny "whiskers" that caused short circuits on close bare contact points. Hope not the case here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:36 am 
Black Belt
Black Belt

What graphics were U using before? onboard?

IF so, try changing the JPG1 to disable onboard VGA (short on pins 2 and 3) and see if U can get some video from the VGA Card

Also, try to boot with only CPUs with NO RAM, U must get the beeps from the buzzer indicating no memory present

put in only one stick of memory and see what happens, if U like U can test using the video onboard first, is succeed the put the VGA card, disable the onboard video JPG1 and try again

Good Look

-The Police-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:42 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Sounds like the typical bad capacitor story: installing drivers makes the video card take full power from the system, the power supply already on its way out now failed completely. That or the video card has cr*pped out for the same reason.

Identifying bad capacitors:
http://www.badcaps.net