Asus Z170 CPU fan speed error

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Asus Z170 CPU fan speed error

Postby alexsee » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:07 pm

Hello everybody,

I have an ASUS Z170 pro gaming mobo with i7-6700K and Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. B.
The problem is as follows: each time I turn on my PC, the BIOS first beeps once (apparently no problems), then the loading screen appears for a brief moment, and after that I get 1 long and 4 short beeps and the screen (file attached) pops up. The problem does not appear when I restart a computer (either by clicking restart in Windows, or when I shut it down but leave the cable plugged in and then turn it on again).

What I have done: I tried to set the CPU lower speed limit to 200 RPM or even to "ignore", but the problem still appears (although the settings are okay, i.e. they persist in BIOS even though the problem appears).
I'm sure that the fan is installed properly, and the BIOS shows correct speed (around 300 RPM), also the CPU temperature is all right (around 30 degrees). Interestingly, after the error screen appears, it is enough to press F1 to go into BIOS and then simply select "Exit without saving", and the computer boots without any further problems.

Have you got any ideas how I can fix that (it's obviously very annoying that I have to press F1 and then exit BIOS each time I turn on my computer)? Thank you!
Attachments
DSCN2028.JPG
Asus Z170 CPU fan speed error screen
DSCN2028.JPG (198.15 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
alexsee
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Asus Z170 CPU fan speed error

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
There is a dedicated power header on the motherboard for the CPU fan, maybe also one for the GPU fan. Ensure the proper one is connected to each. Case fans should be connected directly to the PSU, unless a monitor function is needed on them.
The nominal setting for the CPU max temp should be around 70°C. Depends on ambient temperature, if higher setting is needed. This is the crossover point at which an alarm may sound, and the CPU fan (or cooler) should be at max speed.. up to 2,000 RPM or higher. If no fan is on a specific power header, set that control to 'ignore'.
That info about 1 long and 4 short beeps indicates a video memory address problem. All high-performance video cards require an additional power source directly from the PSU. The slot cannot provide all the needed power.
Have you replaced the BIOS battery in the past year or so? If not, may be time to do so.
When using the USB ports for a mouse or keyboard, the "legacy" feature for USB must be enabled.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby alexsee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:23 am

Thanks for your answer.

@installation

I'm sure that everything is connected properly -- the BIOS shows the CPU fan as the CPU fan, and the 3 case fans are indeed connected directly to the PSU. I set all other fan monitoring options to "ignore".

@beeps

I don't have a video card, i.e. I use the one from the CPU. Isn't this code a general hardware code, which in this case refers to the fan problem?

@battery

The battery is brand new (came shipped with the mobo), and the settings persist after the computer is turned off (also the time is all right).

@usb ports

Is this legacy mode required? My keyboard and mouse (both connected to USB ports) work okay both in BIOS and in the operating system.
alexsee
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:09 am

If using the on-board video feature, then possibly a memory module is not seated properly. Turn off the system, remove and reinstall all modules. Ensure they 'click' into locked position. While gold contacts don't rust or corrode, pollutants from the air can foul them. Removal and reinstall normally clears the problem of poor contact.
For on-board video, best to not go more than 25% of total system memory.. otherwise the OS will not have sufficient memory access. Recent OS versions tend to run best with 2 GB or more of RAM.
As to that 'legacy' feature for USB, the BIOS could then sense a bootable media or keyboard and mouse on its own.. not just after the OS has become active.
Here is a link to the most common BIOS error beep codes.. http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
While inside the case, look over all the larger capacitors. If any show domed tops, excess lean or signs of leakage, they are bad. Remnants of the "bad caps" plague on electronics. More info at http://www.badcaps.net/
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:58 am

4 new versions of the bios have been released since version 0301. I would make a bet on they fixed this annoyance in there at some point:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170- ... _Download/
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby intramorph » Tue May 24, 2016 4:50 pm

I have the exact same issue. Did you manage to fix it? Please let me know
intramorph
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Fri May 27, 2016 6:22 am

What version of the bios do you have intramorph?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support