updating tablet os or browser?

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: updating tablet os or browser?

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

evasive wrote:It looks like rooting it and then loading a basically unsupported Android release is your only option to make it more usable. I'm not sure if the Amazon App Store has got what you are looking for....
Roach412 wrote:i would root it and load a new ROM on it...which essentially would make it "appear" as though it's a different device and would allow you to update/install basically whatever you wanted.

i rooted an old phone of mine and loaded a bunch of different ROMs on it - was very easy actually.

this might apply to you:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2066041

-Roach
8O :-| I'm new to all this Apps, ROMs, Android stuff. It may be "easy", it may take more effort than this thing is worth to do it right.

I would hate to make any changes that would completely ruin this thing. It took me a while just to get this to see my network.
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by Roach412 »

while, yes...you could brick it - there's obviously a number of people that have been successful in making changes to those types of tablets.

a ROM is basically just the OS - it's read-only and is read at the boot up of the device to set it's configuration and load services/programs/etc. Essentially, you're just running a different software setup on the existing hardware - as long as it's remotely compatible, you'd be able to reset it back to the original configuration.

a new ROM can breathe fresh life into old hardware - that's what i did with my old HTC phone. HTC's were extremely bogged down with their pre-installed software, once i removed it and set up a new ROM it was extremely fast (and able to install things which weren't installable before). which gave me a new use for it.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Mark H »

I had a Nook Color I was able to put Android on, and it worked very well. Actually gained Bluetooth, which I didn't have before. The "XDA" link is definitely a good place to go. I used the info and forums to do the Nook.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

Roach412 wrote:while, yes...you could brick it - there's obviously a number of people that have been successful in making changes to those types of tablets.

a ROM is basically just the OS - it's read-only and is read at the boot up of the device to set it's configuration and load services/programs/etc. Essentially, you're just running a different software setup on the existing hardware - as long as it's remotely compatible, you'd be able to reset it back to the original configuration.

a new ROM can breathe fresh life into old hardware - that's what i did with my old HTC phone. HTC's were extremely bogged down with their pre-installed software, once i removed it and set up a new ROM it was extremely fast (and able to install things which weren't installable before). which gave me a new use for it.

-Roach
Does the same apply to a tablet? I understand ROM = OS, and switching ROMs is like going from XP to Linux?

How would I find the best/right ROM for the tablet? What is the safest way to install it?
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

Smart phones, tablets and "pads" are usually locked to a specific OS type. To change to another version, a process called "jail breaking" is done. But it can void a warranty entirely.
Android and Linux are the most popular OS types.
Some more searching turned up blogs about "hacking" the OS with a different version.. but a 50/50 chance you may have a fancy paperweight.
Maybe best to get a newer model, wipe the old one (take out personal info), and put up for bids?
[email protected] to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

Karlsweldt wrote:Smart phones, tablets and "pads" are usually locked to a specific OS type. To change to another version, a process called "jail breaking" is done. But it can void a warranty entirely.
Android and Linux are the most popular OS types.
Some more searching turned up blogs about "hacking" the OS with a different version.. but a 50/50 chance you may have a fancy paperweight.
Maybe best to get a newer model, wipe the old one (take out personal info), and put up for bids?
That's what I was hoping to avoid. This tablet is mainly used for quick web searches for various stuff. I just liked the idea of having a few other things I could do with it.

I guess I'll just let this go for now. :( I'm happy that, this thing does what it does.

Thx, anyway. Maybe down the road I will get a better one.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Mark H »

Before you put it on a shelf, I forgot to mention,on my Nook I installed the ROM to an SD card and booted to that. If you have an SD card slot, might be worth a try. Less chance of bricking it.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

Mark H wrote:Before you put it on a shelf, I forgot to mention,on my Nook I installed the ROM to an SD card and booted to that. If you have an SD card slot, might be worth a try. Less chance of bricking it.

:? Do mean I would be booting the the tablet off the SD Card? Sorta like booting Linux using a Live CD/DVD?
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Mark H »

Exactly
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

OK, this is what I'm Leary about.

I start/power on the tablet, then I go to ''Download App Stores''.

Next I select my browser and open it.
The I select what App Store I want to download.

Ex. Amazon App Store or SlideME

It begins to download, after it finishes I try to install it.
First it tells me, I need to ''Allow install Apps'' in the security settings [√]. I check the box. Then I get the following:

Do you want to install?
It will get access to Send SMS messages.
Read phone status/identify approximate location (network based)
-modify or delete contents of your SD card
-add or remove accounts, create accounts, set passwords, find accounts on the device, use accounts on device.
-full network access, view network connections, view WiFi, control vibrations, test access, etc

What the heck does all that mean?

I want the tablet to be secure, but I want to be able to use some Apps.

What do I need to do?