XP SP3 PC Acting Strange

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: XP SP3 PC Acting Strange

Postby c327 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:30 am

Karlsweldt wrote:You could run the SFC process, doing a mild repair.. replacing corrupt files.. http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true
If hat does not fix the issue, then hopefully there is a restore point before the problem started, which may still be valid.
Doing a "repair" operation from booting to the OS install disk may cure the problem, but also may undo a lot of updates.
But I note you have several 'spell checkers' active. One should be sufficient.
There were more than 300 security updates for Win XP. Very few could be uninstalled, and the entire lot may still be in the parent folder.. with names such as "$NtUninstallKB2779562$". Here you can get all the "KB" update titles needed.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=35809 Change the string name for each update. Yes, tedious process.. but a last resort.
IE8 is not considered secure enough, and not honored by most Web sites now. But is an integral part of Windows. Set a different browser as default.

I have IE8 installed but don't use it any more as you noted many no longer accept it. I use Chrome which I don't like.

I have only one spell checker installed that I am aware of, iespell. I see others but aren't they related to the original iespell utility?

No restore points as I cleared them when I turned off System Restore to do the nasty checks.

How does the log file look?
Last edited by c327 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mark H » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:22 am

Log file looks ok, but I am not an expert. One line stood out:
O23 - Service: SessionLauncher - Unknown owner - C:\DOCUME~1\JIMDAN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\DX9\SessionLauncher.exe (file missing)
I googled it, and only had 1 hit, your post from Here
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:23 am

Curious about one item.. " C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe " .. is this app running all the time, or only as needed? Could be constantly checking for new files and possibly causing a mild slowing of the system's other needs.
You could try uninstalling the video DX9 program and reinstalling fresh, if the file is missing.
Get it from MS update site.. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35
Other sites may add unwanted malware.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Tech Support