Cannot boot production server

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Cannot boot production server

Postby larlap » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:02 pm

I have an old Intel chassis SC5299 with an Intel S3200SH motherboard. I also have 6 disks controlled by an LSI-9240-8i. There is also an SSD with Windows Server 2012 loaded. Everything was working just fine.

I needed to add a USB controller card. I installed the software, shutdown the server and added the USB controller. I also dressed some cables coming from the LSI to the hard disks.

When I try to power the box on, the chassis and CPU fans spin for a few seconds and stop.

I have never experienced a catastrophic failure before and don't know where to begin to isolate the problem. At rest the NIC light on the front panel is lit. When I hold the power switch in, the power indicator light pulses, the NIC light goes off and the power indicator on the DVD drive blinks. When I release the power switch the fans go off, the power indicator goes off immediately and the NIC light goes back on again.

Any help, please?
larlap
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Cannot boot production server

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Could be the PSU is not powerful enough. Check its label as to wattage total, and for each rail.
If the problem started when you added the extra device, then disconnect it and see if normal operation returns.
But also remove and reseat the main power connector and any other motherboard power connections.
A common failure cause with a computer is the BIOS battery. It is only a backup for when no mains power enters the PSU and provides the stand-by +5 volts, for USB features and BIOS/CMOS needs. And the real-time clock!
If the battery is weak, the real-time clock may stop.. and many motherboard designs are dependent on the clock working to show life signs. Typical battery life is 2 to 3 years, depending on use.
It is normal for fans to spin for a few seconds when powering on, so the BIOS monitors can check that they are working.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby larlap » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:23 pm

I am afraid I have made the situation worse.

First, perhaps I'm paranoid, but when I turned power on, the PSU made a whirring sound and exhausted a little air in the back.

Then I replaced the battery with a new one. When I plugged power back into the PSU, both the CPU and rear chassis fans started rotating without the power switch being pushed in.
larlap
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:30 pm

There is a command line in the BIOS pages concerning how the system will react if power is lost. For an unattended server or other computer that needs to be constantly in operation, the command can be set for "last state" or "power on". For any other general needs, the command should be "stay off".
It is normal that a PSU may come alive for a few seconds, when powered on. Same with chassis fans or code lights.
After changing the battery, it should be a next task to redo all the BIOS pages to reflect how the system is set up.. and to ensure the date and time are correct.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:43 am

which slot do you have the lsi card in , and which the usb controller card?
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Tech Support