Windows XP Pro PC Locks Up

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP Pro PC Locks Up

Postby c327 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:33 am

This PC is custom built with Intel DP55KG mobo & Intel i7-860 2.8 CPU, BIOS updated to 3878,Windows XP Pro SP3, 802.11abgn Router, DSL 6.0 wireless network.

Not sure if this belongs in this forum, if not fine if you move it?

For some reason ever since this PC was built by me in 2009 it does not seem to be as fast as I thought it would be. I don't play games and I never changed any of the individual bios settings. I was never concerned with frame rates even though that may effect my general use of the computer.

I have always been Windows something like many people. I am aware of proprietary hardware as it pertains to computers. Over the last year I fell off the fence and bought an Apple ipad air tablet even though I knew beforehand that I would run into proprietary hardware and software situations but figured that since I would not be using it as I do my Windows PC's it would not be a problem :lol:

As I got more familiar with its use I wanted to take video's with the ipad and then be able to send them via ipad's email program to others who had Windows PC's including myself so in order for me to view such an email containing this type of video I had to install a compatible player which I did and that solved that. Ok so what is the problem???

The problem is I now want to import the videos that are on the ipad to my Windows PC where I then put them on a CD or DVD. For some reason I figured I would install itunes on my Windows PC and then be able to do what I want with the ipad video's which turns out to be only wishful thinking it seems.

Today I attempted to download itunes 12.1 for Windows 32 Bit to my Windows PC desktop about 120mb file. It downloaded OK. Before I installed the file I went to Add/Remove programs and removed all Apple related installed software just to make sure there was no conflict with anything, the removal went OK. I emptied the Temp Folder and cleaned up things with CCleaner. I then clicked to install the downloaded itunes file and that is where the trouble showed up. The install starts and goes on for an hour or more and after all that time does not finish. It seems to lock up the PC and Ctl, Alt, Del won't even get me out of it. I have to shut the PC down manually with the push button which I don't like doing.

Something is wrong here it seems to me because a small 120mb file should not take this long to complete. I am starting to think I made a mistake in buying Apple and should have stayed with something Windows compatible. Other than is issue the ipad works fine on my network etc.

Why does this PC seem so slow?

How do I move an Apple ipad generated video off the ipad and into a folder on my Desktop Windows PC ?

Thanks all............

PS I hate Google Chrome

Last edited by c327 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Windows XP Pro PC Locks Up

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:48 am

Some Apple products and programs are proprietary only to their devices. But Apple does offer compatible programs to PC users for interface needs and such, as well as 'emulators'.
In uninstalling programs and features, it is best to restart before installing new programs or features.. to ensure the "crumbs" are gone. And during the install, have only the programs and processes required being active. With some programs, the only way to totally remove them is from their own folders.. look for an "Unwise.exe" or similar command line.
Whether it be from Apple or any other company, audio and video clips are "intellectual property" and guarded by certain rights of use. Licensing and contracts may be required for access.
What may be worth doing is a defrag of the drive, then a performance check and memory test. The OS will constantly flush and refill system memory, normally every second or less. If a repetitive error happens with the flush and refill, then a 'system' or 'kernel' dump may happen.. with a freeze or BSOD. The OS "event log" will have a record of every incident.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:10 am

How much internal memory is this system reporting?
How much free disk space you still have?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:10 am

evasive wrote:How much internal memory is this system reporting?
How much free disk space you still have?

Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit
Seagate 500 GB HDD
NTFS 466GB
Free Space 423 GB
Percent Free 90%

PC is uncluttered and clean as I can get it. CCleaner, Malwarebytes, AVG, Defrag, Super Anti Spyware, Temp Folder empty. No risky PC use.

Thanks.......
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby c327 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:29 pm

I found the problem and figured I would post it here. I had previously downloaded an Apple program quite large in size and it apparently got corrupted somewhere along the line. I removed it and cleaned up some other things and rebooted and all seems well.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:39 am

Always good to post your "cure" of a problem! May help someone else with a similar issue.

Some program files may be large, and need a contiguous free space on the drive. If a defrag has not been done in a long time, free space is fragmented. If a file won't fit any free space, the OS may try to split it.. but that usually won't work.
Dump junk files from a browser or temp folder that are useless. ANY file of zero size is hogging 512 bytes of disk space.. and a lot of them can show a 'full' hard drive when there really is a lot of free space. Delete them.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support