Cheap upgrade options for an old Abit AW9D Mobo

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Cheap upgrade options for an old Abit AW9D Mobo

Postby venom » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Hey guys, looking for some advice from you geniuses. I have an old Abit AW9D, I currently have a pentium 4 3.2ghz and a Geforce 250. Is there any cheap upgrade options, is it worth looking to get a LGA775 pentium4 core2 from Ebay and what would be a cheap but good upgrade from the Geforce 250 ???

I appreciate the motherboard and the whole system is due for a total update but hoping to ekk out another year and thought I could upgrade the whole system cheaply.

Thanks in advance.
venom
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Cheap upgrade options for an old Abit AW9D Mobo

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:32 pm

That board is supposed to support Core 2 Duo Extreme 1066/800 MHz FSB. But may need a BIOS update to accept newer CPU models. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/205138/Abit-Aw9-D.html
The GeForce 260 has some good specs..
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... ifications
I have a GeForce GTX460 1 GB in my F@H rig on an Intel D975. The system is cranking out WUs with Win 7, Core 2 Duo 2.4.
The 460 is a bit faster with effective clock memory speed. About the same wattage needs.
The optimum performance from any system can be had if there are not too many background programs in the roster.
Run only what is required.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:57 am

What brand/model is your power supply?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby venom » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:41 pm

Thanks for the replys guys, I appreciate you helping me out.

Anybody have a percentage increase I could look at in relation to my CPU and Graphics card.

I mean would a quad core pentium 4 be '100%' better than the standard 3.2ghz Pentium 4 I have now ?

I can get a Geforce600/700 quite cheap new, how much of a percentage increase would that give me over the 1GB Geforce GTS 250 I have ??

I'll check my power supply for you, thanks.
venom
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:48 pm

The "core" of any CPU is its L1 and L2 memory cache. The more, the better, in a true sense.
Programming instructions can be stored in the L2 cache for quick reference.. eliminating the constant re-read of programming instruction files. That equals a faster system. Typically a 1 meg L2 cache is assigned each core of a multi-core CPU.
Some multi-core CPU models have an L3 cache, which is shared among the cores.
For video cards, the faster the memory access and core speed, the better the graphics rendering. But maybe a trade-off in needing higher power. With an SLI or Crossover setup, both cards share the rendering of graphics.. and can greatly improve quality and frame rate.
A link to Nvidia video card models.. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... _value=All
Just change the "GPU model" series, for that group.
Never a waste to have a more robust PSU than needed. It will never "push" more power than the system needs, but the unused power will equal better regulation. A quality brand with a long warranty is your best buy.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support