Samsung XP941 boot drive and SATA Raid drives

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Samsung XP941 boot drive and SATA Raid drives

Postby OrgChem » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Pardon the noob question but I have not been able to have google answer for me. I am using the Samsung XP941 (PCIe SSD) as my boot drive on the ASRock X99 Professional motherboard. The OS is Windows 7 Pro and booting into the OS seems to be working okay. I want to add a couple SATA WD Red drives for storage but I want them in RAID 1. I figured the best approach was to reinstall Windows 7. I tried to reinstall windows 7 using the "F6 method." However during the Windows install the process would not recognize the Intel RAID drivers. Similarly I could not get the Intel Rapid Storage Technology to work. It responded with a hardware error when I tried to install the latest IRST. I did change the bios SATA controller mode to RAID before trying the above. What am I missing or am I limited to have these drives only in ACPI? Would a RAID controller card permit to do what I want? Many thanks.
OrgChem
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Samsung XP941 boot drive and SATA Raid drives

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:54 pm

A little tech help from MS.. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 8c7eb6c1f3
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 1cfa748587
Ensure the RAID drives are on the "0" and "1" RAID controller ports, and are identical in stats. Makes things easier.
The primary OS drive should be on the non-RAID port "0".
There should be RAID drivers on the motherboard driver disk that came with the motherboard. Create a folder on the primary (C:\) drive and name it Drivers. Copy the proper drivers to that folder.
The drives will need to be partitioned and formatted via the Windows Disk manager process. Then when initiating the RAID array, point Windows to the folder. Easier than shuffling disks.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:48 am

You do not even need to reinstall the OS for this since your primary OS drive is not changing!

Try changing the mode to RAID in the bios without the WD drives added/connected and reboot your system. It should still boot as the SSD is not connected to the Intel controller. If it does we can go from there.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby OrgChem » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:46 am

I actually did not have the WD drives attached when I tried all this. I am waiting for them to arrive from newegg (should be here tomorrow). And yes changing the bios setting to RAID for the SATA controller still permits me to boot into Windows 7 with no issues. It was interesting that the Intel RAID driver set (64 bit) that I downloaded from the Intel website were not recognized by the Windows install. The windows install has a checkbox that when checked only shows relevant drivers to the installation. When I unchecked this box the drivers that I downloaded from Intel were there. At this point is where I aborted the re-install.
OrgChem
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:18 am

What version of Win 7 do you have? A 64-bit OS can default to 32-bit with most programming, but driver files are specific to the OS version.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby OrgChem » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:37 am

I have installed the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS. Opted for this in anticipation of Windows 10.
OrgChem
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:47 am

Alrighty then, you only need to change the driver that is used for the Intel controller. It seems someone has been busy doing just that on an Intel-chipset board:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/28709

I hope this helps you out. I currently don't have a system to actually test this with so I cannot verify but it seems plausible enough to work.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support