8 pin and 4 pin CPU connectors

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

8 pin and 4 pin CPU connectors

Postby OrgChem » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi All,

I'm not sure what to attach to my auxiliary CPU power connectors. I have an 8 pin and a 4 pin CPU connector on my ASRock X99 Professional MB. Currently I have a cable to the 8 pin CPU connector (and the 24 pin cable) attached. Do I also need to connect an additional cable to the 4 pin connector as well? If so what do I gain from this? Currently the pc seems to be functioning okay without it except when the pc comes out of hibernation where it freezes up. For my boot drive I have the Samsung m.2 XP941 SSD. Thanks
OrgChem
Initiate
Initiate

Re: 8 pin and 4 pin CPU connectors

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:25 am

The power traces in the motherboard layers can carry only so much current, before causing excess heat to sensitive components. So the additional AT12 volt connections very close to the CPU socket. The AT12 volt connectors have yellow and black wires only. Since the CPU is the most power hungry, additional power is needed closest to its placement. The 'extra' 4-pin plug for the main ATX power connection has different colors and voltages. Plus, the plugs are polarized to fit only one type of socket.
It depends on the type of CPU used, whether you need both AT12 volt sockets connected to. But the proper rule is to connect both. If the PSU has only one AT12 volt lead set, then get a 'splitter' adapter to feed both sockets from the same plug. Or go the best way and get a good quality PSU with all the lead sets needed.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:12 am

generally, any power connection you have on the mobo SHOULD be connected to a lead from the PSU. I have seen on multi-socket boards where the cpu power was not needed on sockets with no cpu in them... but that's the only caveat.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby rascard2007 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:22 pm

the pins 5 to 8 are quite redundants 12V feeding, the use depends on the amount of power that ur cpu and other devices sucking power direct from the mobo uses, at least in principle the mobo will work with ony pins 1 to 4 connected to the PSU
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Tech Support