Asus P5Q SE Wake on LAN (WoL)

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

I noted your comment about the LED status..
Don't know if this datum will make any difference but, with the computer turned off the router shows the 'Link/Traffic' LED on--this LED is on solid and flashes when there is traffic for this port. BUT, the same port's 'Speed' LED (on the router) is OFF--this LED is normally off for 10Mbps (or when no link), yellow for 100Mbps, and green for 1000Mbps, and it remains lit for the other computers when turned off; for this computer it is green when the computer is on.
If the LEDs go dark on the router port or the device card port, that indicates a loss of power to the LAN feature of the computer. Nearly every machine I have seen in the past years shows an active link to the router just after the machine is turned on, but not yet activating the LAN links (networking).
If the machine truly shuts down then the PSU has stopped providing power to all circuits, except the PSU would still provide a +5 stand-by voltage to the USB ports, BIOS circuits and other select features as long as mains power enters the PSU.
If there is a jumper or BIOS feature to allow powering on from the keyboard, that may be a possible cause, if not enabled.
[email protected] to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Just Another Joe
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by Just Another Joe »

Thanks for the reply, Karl.

Perhaps I haven't explained very well, but this switch (mentioned in last post--computers are actually connected to a switch rather than directly to the router, though this shouldn't make any difference to our discussion) has two LEDs for each port; the larger one indicates a connection when on, and blinks with traffic; it will be off when not connected. The second, smaller LED shows the connection speed: off for 10Mbps, yellow for 100Mbps, and green for 1000Mbps.

Now, when a computer is not configured for WoL and is turned off, both LEDs for that port will be off. When the computer boots, the LEDs on the switch do go on and off a time or two during the boot process, before remaining on with the computer fully booted. I think we are agreeing here.

This was the condition for this computer at the beginning of this thread. Other computers which are configured for WoL, even when turned off, show both LEDs on.

However, now (finally) this computer does WoL. The interesting thing is that when this computer is turned off, the switch shows the traffic LED on, but the speed LED off, which is different than the other computers. I wonder why?

Oh yes, to answer your question, the Wake on Keyboard feature has been enabled and working properly throughout this thread.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

Interesting! Wonder if this is a novelty with the mobo model, or just your board?
Have seen many weird events with network setups, including someone's use of a crossover router cable instead of a standard cable and wondering why the LAN is not accessible!
And also having near-identical LAN features (one on-board, one device card) that share the same IRQ/DMA and chip type.
Each feature is assigned a unique IRQ/DMA address, and some IRQ listings may have up to three devices.. but with different DMA address for no conflicts.
Have you checked the Hardware/Device Manager for any possible error signs?
[email protected] to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Just Another Joe
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Yes, device manager shows no errors for this device, and the device (on-board gigabit network) is working fine.

In fact, since my second previous post, the WoL is now working fine as well, with the settings described in that post. The only peculiarity being the speed LED on the switch.

So, I'm comfortable leaving it this way (though still curious as to why). But am also willing to try other settings for testing if it would help someone else.
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by fussnfeathers »

Might just be a peculiarity with the chip. I've got the same basic board, the plain P5Q, never got around to installing it. Some older cards configured that way would switch down from 100 to 10 when off, but still receive traffic so it knew when to wake up. In your case, that would mean your speed light would be off. Aside from what's already been mentioned, I doubt anything would change that effect.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
Just Another Joe
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Yes, that's quite possible, that it switches down to 10Mbps when off, though it seems very strange, but it does provide one possible explanation.
lando
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Asus P5Q SE Wake on LAN (WoL)

Post by lando »

Just wanted to add thanks from a P5QL user 10 years later who wasted half a day trying to figure this out. This was approximately the 100th link I visited trying to solve this problem. I can't say whether it was the registry entry or disabling fast boot (I think the latter), but finally got it working reliably on Windows 10. Now on to another futile academic exercise using obsolete computer hardware.

Cheers.