pc400 mainboard M925 Memory

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

pc400 mainboard M925 Memory

Postby kwren » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:10 am

I have a p400 mainboard M925 with a celeron pentium 4 processor. My Mainboard book says it can handle 2 Gb ddr memory. So my my brother in-law installed the 2 Gb of ddr memory, shorted and /or opened all switches that the book said to do and my pc is reading only half of each stick. What are we doing wrong?
kwren
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
Would be better if your question were listed in "Tech Help". A Mod may see fit to move your thread, but please don't double-post.

More info about the system would be needed before an accurate suggestion can be made. The mobo brand/model, CPU in use, and other basic stats.. including BIOS date.

If as noted "shorted and /or opened all switches that the book said to do", then possibly the mobo design can use two different memory designs.. DDR/DDR2, or other, such as DIMM/DDR. But you may also need to set another jumper, for the voltage needs of the memory.
That design feature is not popular. As to "reading only half" of each module, then likely the board is aging and cannot recognize double-density memory types, only single-density types. And you cannot mix two memory types on any mobo design. Different capacity modules, yes.. but not different classes.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support