A7V133 no boot

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

A7V133 no boot

Postby chulo_d » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:12 pm

Ok heres the problem.
A7V133 system I am building for my son will not boot. Last night before I went to bed the system booted just fine. Today I was going to try a different hard drive in there. I put it in the system turns on , then there is a 1-2 sec long beep, then the system shuts down. The manual does not discribe this code. I have tried to boot with just the cpu, ram and video card. That doesnt work. I have also taken the mobo out of the case to ensure its not shorted.
I verified proper placement of the hsf and TRIED to short the CMOS. I dont think I was doing it right. Can anyone pls describe the proper way to clear the cmos.
Also last night while the system was runnning, I changed the bios setting to shutdown incase of cpu fan inoperation. I think this might be the prob but I cannot enter the bios. the hsf is running fine though so Imnot to sure.

Thanx

A7V133 rev 1.05
Thunderbird 750
128meg ps-133 ram
Asus Vanta 8meg video card
If it aint broke, fix it till it is
chulo_d
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby uniquemale69 » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:38 pm

Locate the battery should be a button type

remove it wait for about 15-30 seconds

replace battery

reboot

you should get a error that reads something to the effect of:

CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE OR DELETE TO ENTER SETUP

just push the delete key and fix it (preferably not till its broke...lol)
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
uniquemale69
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby chulo_d » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:08 pm

well i got it fixed. thanks for the replies. It was definitely a bios issue but for some reason I could not clear the cmos. I took the batteryout for a minute or so and i evenshorted the contacts. Nothing. Remembering that I set the system to shut down in the event of a hsf fail I smacked myself on the head and went and got one of my backup hsf's. I plugged it into the 3 pin header and plugged the actual hsf into the header for the chassis fan. Booted right up. It turns out the yellow(tach) wire of my hsf was screwed up causing this mess.
I went into the bios right away and disabled the seek hsf at startup option.

Thanks
If it aint broke, fix it till it is
chulo_d
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Tech Support