System Hang when running AthlonXP 1600+

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

System Hang when running AthlonXP 1600+

Postby Tweets » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:14 am

lo
I have a A-Bit KG7 Lite motherboard, with AMD Athlon XP 1600+.
If i run PC at 1600+, as i play games or put any 'strain' on the processor the system will lock up, the only way i can reset it is by the reset button on the Case. So at the moment im having to run my processor at 1GHz just to keep it stable. Its not the processor overheating cause i use a motherboard monitor.

Other PC info.. Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1, Creative Geforce2 MX 400, 1network card..

Any advice would be appreciated thanks..
Tweets
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Tolemac » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:35 am

Welcome to the Mother Board!

What do you have the BIOS and mobo set to for the FSB? That CPU should be at 133MHz and I'd bet you have the mobo at default settings or 100MHz FSB so when you try to set it to 1600+, it is way overclocked and won't work.
It may also be that you need to flash the BIOS to the latest one so that you can use the Athlon XP processors as it did not orginally support them. Make sure the BIOS is at least from 10/22/2001 and says 5W or KG75W. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:19 am

It could also be some bad ram incapable of keeping up with 133 fsb. I would also suspect that your power supply could be inadequate for running your computer at the higher speed. But the best way to test this out would be to swap out the CPU with another XP chip, or try your chip in a friends computer and see if the symptoms occur. Then you'll know if it's the CPU or not.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tweets » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:37 am

thx guys
but...

i think the default settings for the mobo is at 100 fsb, how can i change this...
and what would i need to do to flash the BIOS?
Tweets
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby yoojie » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:41 am

Need to go to

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/e ... =KG7&#Bios

For the BIOS. If you need more info on how to flash, you need to boot to a bootable Floppy. Then run the utility. Please read from website.

As for the FSB settings, please check the manual for instructions. There may be a jumper on the mobo or it might be a setting in the BIOS. I'm not sure which for your MOBO.

:o

**A wise man once said "Man who goes to sleep with itchy butt.... wake up with smelly finger."
yoojie
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Mr T » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:18 pm

See if you can borrow another AGP card of better spec than your GF2 'cos that could be the cause. Check the fan is running correctly on the card (give it a clean anyway :lol: ) and see if it has DDR or SDram (you might have to look on the manufacturers website if you've chucked out the packing!). If it's SD ram that is the most likely cause of the lockups during gameplay.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Tech Support