Tried installing windows XP, It froze/keeps freezing...

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Tried installing windows XP, It froze/keeps freezing...

Postby gamecube22 » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:28 pm

every time i try to set it up. Now I just want to go back to window 98 SE so I can at least use my computer. But now that won't even work! There is nothing important on the hard drive....so what should I do? Is there anyway that I can just delete everything off of my hard drive and just start from scratch? (I built the computer by the way, there were no problems until this today).

It is a:
P4 1.6 GHz
40 GB hard drive
VIA Motherboard P4-???

Any suggestions on how I can just get it back to windows 98?? I'm not afraid to erase everything on the hard drive. Plz help me.
gamecube22
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

How to format and reinstall...

Postby netdevil85 » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:46 pm

Yep you can go back - at the moment I am using 98SE as XP Pro does not like my setup.

Anyway... get a boot disk and your 98SE CD. Save any files on your HDD that you might need (personal stuff, work, emails, etc...). Insert the boot disk (floppy) and restart your system (or insert the disk when your system is off and turn it on!). You may be asked how you want to boot up... if you are select the 'install with CD-ROM support' option. Then after a few moments you will be at the command prompt. Type the following "format c:" (do not include " - 'c' is the letter of your HDD, change if required). Now press Enter. This will format (erase all the data of off your HDD (hard drive). Just follow the on-screen instructions and when the format is complete you are ready to move on! Type in 'setup' and press enter. The Windows 98SE setup will begin (make sure the CD is in the drive).

That's about it.

Hope this helps,

Alex.
netdevil85
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby gamecube22 » Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:48 pm

Alright I tried that but my comp just keeps freezing now like even in windows 98 SE before it gets to the enter command section. The Operating system installs on the hard drive correct? So if i bought a new one I could start from scratch?
gamecube22
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby EvLwMn » Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:54 am

You shouldn't need to buy a new HDD to start from scratch. Put your boot floppy in A: and boot with NO CD support. type in "fdisk" (without the quotes) - go in and delete all of your partitions. Reboot (I always reboot here although some people say you don't need to I've found that sometimes you do) and again start with no CD support - type fdisk and go in create partitions and set an active partition. You'll see on the menu when you get in there what I mean. Then you reboot again and this time start up WITH CD support and follow the suggestion from netdevil85.

For some reason, sometimes you have to delete and recreate the partitions before it will straighten out. If you have any questions about doing this post them and we'll help you out.

Good luck 8)
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Southwind25 » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:28 am

You might also need to reset your CMOS with the jumper on your board or removing the battery.

Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Mr T » Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:01 pm

Freezing on setting up XP.....................try a single stick of RAM (if you already haven't done so) and don't load the OS from a DVD-rom (certain ones will not load an OS).

Apart from that if you do go back to win98 you can always create a 'dual boot' and boot both XP and win98 (another story) once yo have solved the freezing problem - at what point of loading does it freeze?
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Tech Support