HELP PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

HELP PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Postby ralzius » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:25 pm

:x

I just opened up my case to put in a new floppy drive because the other one did not work and I had to take out my GeForce 4 Ti4400 and RAM to get the old drive out. I am sure I grounded myself and I was working on a wooden table. I put the new floppy in and put the GF on the table which by the way is solid wood. And I put the GeForce back in and hook it up to my monitor and nothing shows. Everything else seems to be working, I just can't see anything. I think the card is dead, even though I grounded myself and everything. I am so pissed off I could scream.

HELP

PLZ
- ralzius -
ralzius
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aussie » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:33 pm

It's most likely only a simple problem like the video card not being properly seated or the RAM not being properly seated.

Just make sure that everything you removed is correctly refitted and try another boot.

A common problem with video cards is that when the bracket screw is tightened the card is pulled slightly out of its slot at the rear so check that this is not the problem.

I'm assuming that you put the memory back in its original slots?

Is the floppy cable correctly fitted? Does the board boot if you disconnect the floppy drive?

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ralzius » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:36 pm

Aussie, I tried and made sure that the card was properly in place, because I had that problem before when I built it. The RAM is in the original spot, and floppy seems to be OK. The system boots, and EVERYTHING. Just the monitor does not come on because I think the card is dead. I don't understand why it would be dead though. I did not accumulate much static at all. Damn it.
- ralzius -
ralzius
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aussie » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:39 pm

What response are you getting from the PC speaker? A single beep as per a normal boot, no beep at all or something entirely different?

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ralzius » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:39 pm

I haven't plugged up the speakers. Would that tell me anything?
- ralzius -
ralzius
Initiate
Initiate

Postby ralzius » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:46 pm

Yeah, it's doing these really loud and long beeps.
HELP! WHAT TO DO!
- ralzius -
ralzius
Initiate
Initiate

aussie?

Postby ralzius » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:47 pm

aussie?
- ralzius -
ralzius
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aussie » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:49 pm

No I'm not talking about the speakers that plug into the sound card I'm talking about the PC speaker in the case.

There should be a small speaker mounted inside the case that connects to the front panel connector on the motherboard or, with some motherboards, there is a small piezo buzzer mounted on the board itself.

When a motherboard completes the Power On Self Test (POST) proceedure a single beep is emitted from this speaker or buzzer to indicate a successful completion of the test.

Are you hearing this single beep when you power up the board?

Aussie
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:52 pm

I see that you have posted while I was replying.

Please count the number and duration of the beeps. For example one long two short.

Aussie
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ralzius » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:52 pm

the onboard speaker was beeping. turns out the RAM had popped out somehow. i am going to try the card to see if it displays again.
- ralzius -
ralzius
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Tech Support