XFX GeForce 8200 and Sharp Aquos LC46D64U

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

XFX GeForce 8200 and Sharp Aquos LC46D64U

Postby KeizerSoze » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:54 pm

pc specs:

XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard
AMD 64 x2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.6Ghz
Windows Vista 32 bit

this motherboard is suppose to support 1080p HD Video, however i haven't had any success with my Sharp LC46D64U LCD TV. i have all the latest drivers installed including the latest bios from xfx's website. the best i can get is 1280 x 720 through VGA. when i hook up the hdmi cable that I KNOW works cuz it just came from my 360 i get nothing! no video, no audio, no nothing.

i've searched the net high and low and i've yet to find a solution to this problem.

has anyone here had the same problem, and ifso how do i fix it?

thank you!
KeizerSoze
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
Does the output of your video card match the input of the monitor?
Here is a specs link for that monitor.
For quoting from that page link on input, note..
A/V (Composite),
Coaxial (RF),
Component Video,
Front/Side Component Video,
Front/Side HDMI,
Front/Side RCA Composite,
HDMI,
S-Video,
VGA

If your video card has the HDMI output, then that would be the preferred means. But if the card doesn't have HDMI but only VGA or DVI outputs, then an inexpensive DVI to HDMI adapter will create the desired interface.
The output of your video card must be in "P" or progressive scan mode.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby KeizerSoze » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:55 pm

i looked for this "progressive" mode and wasn't able to come up with anything. yes, my tv and pc should fit together perfectly according to both their specs.

if i have to use dvi to vga, will i get the same quality as hdmi? obviously hdmi is the best, that's what i want, but it's not lookin so good right now.

thanks!
KeizerSoze
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:29 pm

Almost all newer TV sets use the "P" or progressive scan mode, for high definition video. The older "I" or interlaced scan left a lot of black lines on the screen. Every alternate line was displayed, then the order reversed. So you actually saw only 1/2 the image at any one time. The eye was fooled into seeing both scan sequences as one image. With progressive scan, the entire image is wiped across the screen in one shot.. just the way all computer video is done.
With the VGA video port, that is analog video. It would need conversion back to digital in the TV, for viewing. Several conversion steps reduce the quality of the image. The DVI port is pure digital, and would be the best when mated to an HDMI adapter for input to the TV.
What may be causing problems is the refresh rate of the video output. If the TV cannot accept any higher than 72 Hz, and the video card's refresh rate is higher, then no picture! Set the video output to 60Hz and see what happens. If that is good, then up the refresh rate to 70 Hz and try again.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby KeizerSoze » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:05 pm

dude! i appreciate your assistance. thanks for the insight. but, you know what? my refresh rate for my video card is at 60 along with my TV.

let me give you some background info. i've had this pc since September. ever since i've had issues with video output. at first i would have to play with it to get it to work on my Dell monitor. it did work via HDMI on my TV about a good 3 times. it kept crashing though.

sent it back several times with the seller (eBay) claiming nothing was wrong. brought it over my buddy's house, he confirms, PC runs great. at my house, runs like sh*t. crashed, no video output on monitor and LCD TV. got a UPS, still no go at the crib.

so, after going back and forth with the original seller. i decided to buy myself a new motherboard (original was a Gigabyte). that's the XFX GeForce 8200. install was a snap, PC runs AWESOME since!! it's mad quiet, cool, and fast! no video output problems, no crashing, boots up every time, all the time! mind you, both the Gigabyte board and the 8200 have on board video.

so, although everything is peachy now, i still have one problem, i CANNOT get HDMI to work properly. the same HDMI ports are working just fine with my Oppo and my 360.

i just don't get it.
KeizerSoze
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Weird happenings with some devices, no explanation! Gremlins?
And yet you get video with few problems on the computer's monitor? Otherwise, maybe the driver set isn't up to snuff.. check with the video card's provider or parent source site. Or at the MS update site, under "other". Model similarity doesn't always work well with near-identical drivers.
Possible the card suffered some heat damage at one time, but is otherwise OK until run hard.
Also possible there are remnants of older drivers for a different video card on that system. Windows doesn't 'clean up' after itself like it should.
Start the system in 'safe' mode, go to the Control Panel/System icon.
Then to Hardware/Device Manager. There will be a 'tree' of all devices.
Expand the branch for Display Adapters. Any device listed except the current one should be deleted. If that doesn't help, then delete all video devices on that branch, then restart and let Windows find its new "toy" and have the proper drivers at hand to install.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby KeizerSoze » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:01 pm

my response has been delayed due to such a hectic schedule at work. i'll be trying out your advice shortly and will respond with the results.

thanks again for the help!
KeizerSoze
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby KeizerSoze » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:14 pm

ok...i've uninstalled my video driver, updated, everything! no hdmi to my TV yet.

i'm fed up. i'm going to return this board and get another without onboard video. i'll get a good video card and call it a wrap!

thanks for all your help!
KeizerSoze
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Tech Support