Stat-Up Probs.

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Stat-Up Probs.

Postby tommyesq73 » Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:40 am

Just finished building my new computer...I got an ECS P4S5A/DX, 1.8aghz, 256 sdram, 40 gig wd hd.

OK, im at the point where I'm trying to install Win 98. I got my startup disk all ready to go...However, when I turn the machine on this is what happens...Enter boot disk and hit any key when ready." I insert startup disk into A: I get the following msg..."Invalid partition"..I get this message w/o the a: gettin any action...

NOTE: The 40 gig H.D. im using is actually one i was using as a slave hd on my old system...Do i need to format that H.D. first before using it on my new sys? is that what that invalid partition means? or does it mean my a: drive is not hooked up correctly? or perhaps something else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
tommyesq73
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:48 am

If you don't care about saving any current data on the 40 gig hard drive, then install it on another PC and "FORMAT C: /Q /S" at the command line dos prompt, or through the explorer, right click on the drive and select format. Make sure the copy System files is checked if you use the explorer. Then your drive should at least boot.

Then there is likely another issue with the floppy, either it's broken, incorrectly installed, or you need to check BIOS settings on the floppy/Boot order. Could also just be the power connector is not totally in contact.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby yoojie » Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:50 am

Weird, but sounds like your not booting to the floppy. What are you using as a boot disk? The WIN98 boot disk should boot to the Command Prompt to A: should not read the partitions from what I know.

Check the BIOS to make sure you got the Floppy installed there and that you have it set to boot to floppy.

**A wise man once said "Man who goes to sleep with itchy butt.... wake up with smelly finger."
yoojie
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby uniquemale69 » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:28 pm

YEA you do need to make sure that in the BIOS that the first boot device is the A: drive or it will not boot from there it will go straight to the C:
another way is to copy the system files to your C: drive in dos just type :"SYS C: " It should give you the "System has been transfered" message then you can see if you can accesss your cdrom
uniquemale69
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Tech Support