PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA???

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA???

Postby rmill9681 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:51 pm

I just installed a new MB (Gigabyte A7VRXP w/1900+) My old hard drives had stuff from my MSI board so I wanted to format them (or at least one) and do a fresh install of XP. When I boot from the CD it freezes in random spots (while formating or before I get to the format) I also sometimes receive these errors: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Also had one about IRQL...I have just the memory, cpu and graphics card in. I check and double checked connections. Also swapped the memory around to different slots. Tried formating from boot disk, also wrote zeros to the drive and ran diag. Nothing worked. I think it may be the memory (PC2100 256MB). It worked in my MSI K7T266 Pro2
rmill9681
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:57 pm

memory problem, try an other stick of memory.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby yoojie » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:05 pm

Yeah, I would try a different stick of RAM first. See if that works.

I had the same error when buildig up my PC but can to find it was a short caused by my FAN. The pins on the fan came loose, so it would jiggle around causing a short. I kept getting multiple BSOD errors.

See if that works first, otherwise pull all HW and start over. Make sure your CPU and heatsink at set correctly (check thermal paste).

14 (0Eh): Page Fault
The Page Fault interrupt allows the operating system to implement virtual memory on a demand-paged basis. An interrupt 14 usually is issued when an access to a page directory entry or page table with the present bit set to 0 (Not present) occurs. The operating system makes the page present (usually retrieves the page from virtual memory) and re-issues the faulting instruction, which then can access the segment. A page fault also occurs when a paging protection rule is violated (when the retrieve fails, or data retrieved is invalid, or the code that issued the fault broke the protection rule for the processor). In these cases the operating system takes over for the appropriate action.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en ... s/5248.htm

**A wise man once said "Man who goes to sleep with itchy butt.... wake up with smelly finger."
yoojie
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby barmouth » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:02 pm

Is the board in the case? If the above don't help you need to check that you don't have more stand-up posts on the chassis than there are holes in the board. Had that one once, similair symptoms, you don't do it twice!
barmouth
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby rmill9681 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:47 pm

well it works now...got new ram, but I think it might have also been the cpu was too hot...I have a thermalright s6+ heatsink with a 50mm fan and it was reading 65C. I bought some antec silver compound and it dropped it to 30C and I havent had a probem
rmill9681
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Tech Support