Backward Compatibility

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Backward Compatibility

Postby AsusFan » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:12 am

I built my own computer about two years ago with an Asus CUSL2-C. (CPU is a P-III 800). It is equiped with 512 MB PC133 RAM, and a Creative Sound Blaster about the same vintage as the motherboard. I have recently upgraded the video card to an Asus GE Force3 V8200.

I am considering upgrading the motherboard. My first guesses are Asus P4PE, Asus P4B533-E, or Asus P4S8X. I am open to suggestions to other boards.

My question is: Do I have to give up my existing RAM? Sound Card? Video Card? Existing CD ROM?

I would like a board that will accept sound cards and video cards as new ones come on line.

But do I have to buy new ones right now?

I appreciate all comments.
AsusFan
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby yoojie » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:21 am

The newer boards are moving toward DDR RAM and away from PC 100/133. This is where you may find some issues.

Otherwise you should be fine with what you have installing it on newer boards (HDD/Video/Sound). The newer boards will also accept newer components.

I hope that answers your question? :)

**A wise man once said "Man who goes to sleep with itchy butt.... wake up with smelly finger."
yoojie
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Mr T » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:45 am

You'll just need to upgrade the board, the RAM and (obviously)CPU and its heatsink/fan, every thing else should be fine as long as its not ISA (long black slots below white PCI slots on the board if you don't know)'cos most new boards are ISA free.

Intel is good, but look at AMD options as well (could be more value for money :wink: ).
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby AsusFan » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:22 pm

Yoojie and Mr. T,

Thank you both for your help.

Another question: Most versions of the boards I referenced above come with on-board sound systems as sold by my preferred supplier (motherboardexpress.com). Will these on-board sound systems PREVENT future sound card upgrades or otherwise greatly limit the compatibility with future sound cards?

p.s. Mr. T, I am a great admirer of AMD processors, and politically I despise Intel. However, in the past, Intel has been the most reliable and flexible processors for my particular uses: architectural softwares (Autodesk CAD), gaming upgrades, and Photoshop applications. Is there new information I need to hear?

Thanks again :D
AsusFan
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby yoojie » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:25 pm

On board sound need to be disabled within the BIOS. Then you should have no problems with the sound card.

**A wise man once said "Man who goes to sleep with itchy butt.... wake up with smelly finger."
yoojie
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby EvLwMn » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:56 pm

Also - I must say that I don't know ANYTHING about your existing video card but you may have to also upgrade that. If it's a 3.3v card it won't fit in the AGP slot on the new Asus boards - they take a 1.5v card. If your card is a universal card (it will be slotted to fit either a 3.3v or a 1.5v AGP port) then it will work.

Any of the motherboards you listed will be awesome. It depends on what your future plans for it are as to which one would be the best one for you. 8)
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Tech Support