SOS NEED HELP@!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

SOS NEED HELP@!

Postby forests » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:53 am

Hello everyone,
made a system with
A7N 266VM,
XP 1700+,
128 DDR,
40 GB SAMSUNG,
300 WATTS PSU,
effective ram is 94 or 96mb. sisoft sandra demo reports ram as 72mb only. how come this variance?(on board video=32mb shared). don't know if anyone is familiar with Indian weather Gujarat state (HOT!!) (winter now). my system reports (asus probe) cpu temps over 61 and mobo temps over 41 in just half an hour. too many crashes. and strange shutdowns. will not boot also for about 5 min after that. apparently when the temps lower, system boots again and works normal for another repeat of the same problem.
One thing i understand that - yes, memory is certainly the problem. 72 or 92 whichever. but then, when u restart, the cpu powers up and then immediately powers down. that's it and it wont start again until after about 5 - 10 minutes. :x

suggestion more than welcome. actually an SOS. :(
forests
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Tolemac » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:36 am

Welcome to the Mother Board!

The problem as I see it is heat. What make and model heatsink are you using? Also what OS are you running?
In regards to the memory, 96MBs is what you have due to the other 32MBs being shared. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:24 am

I agree with Tolemac that it is most likely a heat issue and I would like to point out that adequate case ventilation is also important with Athlon CPU's. It doesn't matter how good the heatsink/fan is you have to shift the heat out of the box to effectively cool the processor.

You need at least one case fan, mounted high in the case close to the CPU, exhausting air from the rear of the case. An 80mm fan is best although some cases only have room for a 60mm fan.

If cooling is still a problem a second case fan mounted to the lower front of the case and drawing cool air into the case may be necessary.

The easy way to tell if case ventilation is adequate is to monitor temps with the case both open and closed. If temps are significantly lower with the case open then case ventilation is inadequate.

None of the above negates the need for a high quality CPU cooler though.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby forests » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:37 am

:D Thanx. the heatsink is the one which comes boxed with AMD XP. Its coolmaster. and the OS is both xp pro and win98se. same problem on both OS's. i just got it changed and will be checking out the mobo. also will pay particular attention to mounting the heatsink on the processor, although thermal compound may be of an inferior quality as arctic silver is not available here. as aussie pointed out correctly, the cpu and the psu are indeed too close for comfort for either of them. almost locked in embrace. will have to change the case too.
thanx a lot folks. :o

every snowflake pleads....
cool!! :lol:
forests
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Tech Support