sound card - help please!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

sound card - help please!

Postby tblock » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:00 pm

Where on a motherboard can I connect the wire that comes off of my soundcard? I took the computer apart and forgot where it went.
What is that wire for anyway?
tblock
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby joeyscales » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:17 pm

What wire? The wire that comes off the sound card would connect to your cdrom drive I believe. If were talking about the same thing. If not need to know what type/brand of motherboard and soundcard.
joeyscales
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby tblock » Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:55 am

what is it for?
tblock
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Aussie » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:00 am

what is it for?

Analog audio. It's used when you play an audio CD in the CDrom drive, no cable = no sound. That's the only thing it is used for though so if you didn't play audio CD's you wouldn't miss it.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

sound card

Postby billcay59 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:54 am

Aussie is right if no sound from speakers with audio CD in CD ROM then wire goes to CDrom
billcay59
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby tblock » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:52 pm

There is already a wire coming from the CD ROM and it connects right to the motherboard. Is this wrong? I looked real close and noticed that the cable on the sound card would not fit in the CD ROM and vice versa.

The sound card does not use an expansion slot, it connects via a data cable. I didn't know if that would help you answer my question.

Do I even need the wire on the sound card since there is one from the CD ROM to the motherboard?
tblock
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby yoojie » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:13 pm

what kind of sound card and what is your mobo?

**A wise man once said "Man who goes to sleep with itchy butt.... wake up with smelly finger."
yoojie
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby tblock » Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:24 pm

The mobo is an Intel RU430HX. It came in an HP 7270. I am 99% sure that the sound card did too. I have the documentation for the mobo but I can't find a spot for the sound card wire to plug in.

Is it possible that when the computer was new it didn't come with a CD ROM so the wire on the sound card was pluged into the place where the CD ROM is now? Maybe I don't need the wire at all.
tblock
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby chulo_d » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:05 pm

Analog audio. It's used when you play an audio CD in the CDrom drive, no cable = no sound. That's the only thing it is used for though so if you didn't play audio CD's you wouldn't miss it.

Question Aussie...
I have disconnected the cable going to my cd-in port on my soundblaster live and still listened to cd's perfectly. Also my DVD drive is not connected to my sound card in any way and I can listen to music through that drive. What gives?
I do no have onboard sound either.
If it aint broke, fix it till it is
chulo_d
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aussie » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:11 pm

I have disconnected the cable going to my cd-in port on my soundblaster live and still listened to cd's perfectly

Some CD and DVD drives are capable of digitally transfering audio using the data cable if it has been enabled, this is obviously the case with both of your drives.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Tech Support