Bad Power Supply?

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Bad Power Supply?

Postby joeyscales » Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:20 pm

Here is the situation. A computer running 98se 800mhz celeron. Not sure of the other hardware(not my computer). Anyway the computer turns off on its own. That however is not the major problem. Whenever the computer is powered off either properly shut down or on its own it won't turn back on. The only way for it to boot up is to physically unplug the computer for 1-5 minutes. Then it boots up fine. Other than that the system runs fine. Could this be a bad Power Supply? Any thoughts?
joeyscales
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby feto » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:44 pm

how many watts is the psu??? ....does he/she have a lot of things connected to the pc...requiring a lot of voltage??........ maybe the psu is just not enought for everything connected
feto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby joeyscales » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:06 pm

No nothing major hooked up. Just the basics. One hard drive,one cdrw drive nothing else. Not sure about the PSU Watts. I wouldn't say anything above 300 watts. That should be enough for that type of processor and the minimal amount of peripherals . The computer is used basically for internet and wordprocessing. Nothing too intensive that would demand higher volts during a heavy load. However I'm thinking that the PSU is going bad. If that theory is right then there wouldn't be enough watts. Do you think I'm looking in the right direction? Could it be something besides the PSU?
joeyscales
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:40 pm

Check the heatsink/fan on the CPU as well.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support