Gigabyte GA-7VAX (rev 1.1) 3d Gaming issue

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Gigabyte GA-7VAX (rev 1.1) 3d Gaming issue

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:26 am

System:
Windows 98SE
Gigabyte GA-7VAX
Athlon XP 1600+
(built by) ATI Radeon 8500 64mb
2 sticks of Crucial 256MB DDR266
SB Audigy

My new Mobo installed and booted up great! However I was having problems with 3d apps (games) freezing at an aparantly random time. Since Battlefield 1942 couldn't last 20 minutes, and Earth and Beyond was doing 60 minutes tops, I need some help! The applications will lock up. Sound will continue and eventually start looping. Mouse frozen, Start commands not responding. Have to reset or power off. System also appears to corrupt graphics if it enteres hibernate mode.

I reformatted and reinstalled OS. Installed ATI drivers, Audigy Drivers, onboard LAN drivers, directX 8.1 and all WIN98SE Patches. I did not install any 4 in 1 drivers, as I thought this was causing issues the first time I had the board installed. Well the 2nd WIN98SE proved that it wasn't. I have checked everything in BIOS, and settings are all stock (not overclocked) So here's my list of fixes I will attempt when I get home today. Please let me know if you have anything to add, or other things to try...

Prep: Check all Revisions #’s and BIOS versions of my Motherboard, and Video card.

1. Remove USB Devices and disable USB hosts
2. Try bumping up CPU Vcore +5%
3. Update Audigy Drivers
4. Adjust/Disable ACPI or power settings in BIOS.
5. Flash Motherboard (If newer bios available)
6. Try older versions of Radeon 8500 drivers (and re-verify newest version installed)
7. Try latest 4in1 drivers (v4.43)
8. Update Radeon 8500 Bios (a claimed fix from forums.viaarena.com)
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:31 pm

Point a large fan on your Radeon and tell us what happens. Sounds like overheating vid card to me.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:49 am

Could be cooling issue, but I doubt it somewhat because I have 5 case fans running. Will check that out before I RMA it.

Anyways I did everything on my list above, even flashed my Radeon card's bios with the latest version (that was some suspensful fun). After all my efforts I was about to quit, then earth and beyond lasted about an hour until I had to goto bed. No crashes... But after my 8500 bios flash, my battle field 1942 went screwy. All the land textures look like a cross between plaid an a circuit board, or maybe it's just a flashback? :) Anyways I'll have to get a screenshot of it, if reinstalling doesn't fix that game. The last options I have:

-Lower hardware graphics acceleration in system tab, control panel.
-Remove SB Audigy or try a different slot (it's sharing IRQ10 with my radeon 8500).
-Double check video card temperature/cooling (but I think I fixed the graphics corruption seen after the computer wakes up from hibernation)

But so far so good, but if it isn't fixed tonight I will have to return the sucker to Newegg.

Another question?
Which is the more likely cuplrit? Gigabyte or Via? Not that I am gonna go completely biased against them, it's just that if I replace my motherboard I would want to get something that works flawlessly with my setup.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:31 am

Well it looks like I will be returning this motherboard today. No luck with any of the above mentioned fixes... Back to my rock solid ECS K7S5A and probably a new video card since I flashed my 8500's bios so much I'm a bit skeptical of it now. Earth and Beyond plays fine. B1942 and RTCW does not.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:32 pm

Well POO! Looks like I cooked my Radeon 8500. Not thermally, but figuratively by flashing the on card BIOS with an aparantly corrupted file. First flash v7004 to v7006. No change in game crashes. 2nd flash 7006 to 7008, Earth and Beyond ran great. Battlefield 1942 was nasty, all the ground textures looked like multi color circuit board or even plaid. Very trippy. RTCW had artefacts all over the place. 3rd flash, 7008 with another copy of 7008 and it flashed fine. Re-entered windows, and after the next reboot, nothing. No beeps, no post. Nada. Even stuck in a PCI video card to try to reflash the Radeon. Nothing.

Luckily I still had my last card, a Geforce 2 GTS. So now it looks like I'm keeping the Gigabyte Mobo, and shopping for a nvidia 4200... 8O :?

Looks like flashing the bios was a red herring on forums.viaarena.com. I think I had AGP 4x Fast Write enabled, and that was causing the lockups every time...
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Tech Support