Radeon AGP card won't work

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Radeon AGP card won't work

Postby Tlinetrader » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:30 am

I'm building my first system which includes an MSI KT3 Ultra2 Mobo and
Radeon 8500 LE video card. Upon powering up the system for the first time
my excitement quckly disappeared as I was greeted by a blank screen and a bunch of beeps. Specifically there were 2 short beeps, a pause, and then 8 beeps. A visit to the AMI website suggested a video card problem. I then installed my old PCI video card and the system booted normally. Do I assume that the Radeon card is bad? Am I missing some procedure to enable AGP on the MOBO (nothing about this in the MSI documentation)? Any advice would be appreciated. My 9 year old son is getting impatient with me. If I don't have NHL 2003 up and running my dinner I'm in trouble.
Tlinetrader
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Valour » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:05 am

It's probably a bad card. Just to make sure, is there another system somewhere that you can use to test it? I know that card is 1.5v and I know that motherboard supports it...

Did you try removing the card and reinserting it in the AGP slot to make sure it was properly seated?

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Tlinetrader » Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:14 am

Thanks for the reply. I reseated the card several times to no avail. I'm trying to find another system with AGP card so I can swap to see what happens. My brother has a system with onboard video and an AGP port. I put my card in that machine and booted, no video. But I don't know if the problem was my card or interference with on board video.
Tlinetrader
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Valour » Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:30 am

Can you disable his onboard video in BIOS just to test with? Don't go to too much trouble if you don't feel comfortable messing with his settings. My suggestion is, return the board for a new one while you still can...

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Tlinetrader » Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:49 am

Couldn't find an onboard video disable function in the bios so I assume his system autodetects add on cards. If thats the case then that would further indicate that my AGP card is bad.
Tlinetrader
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:59 am

MSI boards are notorious for disliking ATI cards, I have never managed to get my RADEON 8500 to work in one yet. Have also tried various MSI boards with ATI rage and RADEON VE cards and found them to be very hit and miss cards!!
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Tech Support