New computer won't boot, please help!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

New computer won't boot, please help!

Postby CrackerNeck » Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:42 pm

I just built my first PC and it booted a few times with no keyboard, finally I got the keyboard working, set up the BIOS and then the monitor won't come on anymore. It stays in standby. I've reset CMOS many times. Taken everything out and re-installed it; and still nothing. I have an ECS Elitegroup P4 Mainboard P4S5A, Intel 2.53GHz Northwood, 512MB PC2100 DDR, 64MB Video Card, 80GB HD, 350W power supply, etc, etc. I only have the HD hooked up now until I get it working. I'm not getting any beep codes, but I don't think my PC speaker is working properly. Please help. I have the 3 power connectors for a P4 board but only a spot for the Main ATX power. I used heatsink grease, and was grounded the whole time. I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-Daniel
HelmkaD@hotmail.com
CrackerNeck
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Sema4MK » Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:28 am

Hmmmm, what kind of video card do you have?

Also when you say it stays in standby, do you mean the monitor doesn't turn on in response to the computer being booted?
--Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.
Sema4MK
Initiate
Initiate

Postby CrackerNeck » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:29 am

The video card is an SiS315 256-bit AGP 4x VGA. But I also tried the video card out of my old computer. It's a 16MB diamond Viper V550 I think. The monitor light stays orange when I power up the computer. It never turns green or shows any text.
-Daniel
CrackerNeck
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Tech Support