just another cry for help

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

just another cry for help

Postby JayMasta » Sun Nov 10, 2002 7:28 am

the computer i have wasnt working, so i decided to check all of the connections, like you guys said, so i did, and when i got to the processor, i discovered that there was no heatsink on the botton of the cpu fan.

When i start the machine, all of the lights and fans start up, but nothing happens on the monitor. Could the fact that there is no heatsink be the problem, and if it is what do i need to do to fix the problem??

Thanks again,
-Jay
JayMasta
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby The Disturbance » Sun Nov 10, 2002 7:30 am

what are the specs of the computer?
The Disturbance
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JayMasta » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:23 am

*Athlon XP 1800+
*Iwill XP 333
*512mb PC2700 DDR
*Radeon 9700 Pro
*80BG Martor QuietDrive
*Antec SX1040/w 420watt power supply

hope this helps
JayMasta
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby evasive » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:24 am

Oh my. You didn't see any smoke or flames coming from the CPU?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby JayMasta » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:27 am

No smoke, no flames, it just doesnt do anything, fans lights, just no sounds or pictures. HELP!!!! arg
JayMasta
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby evasive » Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:45 am

Well if you have powered the system without any heatsink/fan on that AMD, chances are it's gone to processor heaven...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:37 am

OK, I'll play the game.

the computer i have wasnt working

Would you like to give us some history of this computer please? Where did you get it from? Was it ever working? Did you ever SEE it working?

i discovered that there was no heatsink on the botton of the cpu fan.

So how was the CPU fan attached and to what was it attached? Or was it not attached at all? Are you sure that you know what a heatsink looks like?

Could the fact that there is no heatsink be the problem

Yes and no. The lack of a heatsink is only a secondary problem, now that you have powered it up the primary problem is the lack of a working processor.

what do i need to do to fix the problem??

Using all of my strength of will to take this seriously now. This is what you should do, examine the processor (that's the bit under the non existant heatsink that the fan was or wasn't attached to) to see if it it melted to the point of not being able to remove it. If it is melted to the point of not being able to remove it you will need to replace the motherboard and processor and, of course buy yourself a heatsink because you don't have one do you?

If, by some unexplainable act of God, the processor is not melted to the point of not being able to remove it carefully remove said processor and throw it over your shoulder. Then, at geat expense and risk, purchase another processor and insert it into the motherboard, being very careful to make sure that a heatsink is attached to the bottom of the CPU fan this time, and then turn on the computer.

If there is lots of sparks and smoke take it to the people "upstairs" and see if they can fix it. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support