Need Help!!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Need Help!!

Postby iwanabrich » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:44 am

My mother bd (asus A8V Delux, with AMD 64 3400+ 939 socket & 1 GB mem) was giving me strange errors, like no fan alarm, no +5 voltage and it also would shut down on its own. Heat was not a problem. Not having a lot of cash, I decide to replace the MB, but 939 sockets MBs are rare. So I went with a Foxconn NF4SK8AA-8EKRS.

I installed the new bd and it won't boot. I get the post beep and video but nothing else. The boot stops either after it sees the AMD 64 3400+ processor or just after it reads the RAM. I was able twice to get into the Bios, for some reason it went further. I disconnected the IDEs and SATA cables to see if they were effecting it, but no change.

I have a rare AMD 64 3400+ 939 Socket and I'm wondering if compatibility is the issue. I also tried 5 different RAM chips. Foxconn tech support was useless.

Any thoughts out there? Should I try another Processor or get another MB?

Thanks

Bob
iwanabrich
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:26 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org!
Your query would be better served if in the "general" or "tech help" folder. A Mod may see fit to move it.. but please don't double-post.

Check the specs on the mobo, to ensure the CPU is compatible to it. Memory also must be compatible. If the mobo is very recent, it should have a BIOS date within six months or so. If much older than a year, perhaps a BIOS update may cure the issue. But no guarantee. There also may be a jumper on the mobo that sets the base FSB core speed. Check the mobo manual.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby iwanabrich » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:21 am

I have an update. I found a stick of stick of 512 Corsair RAM and I put it in, oddly enough the computer booted! With the computer booting up, I updated the Bios, hoping that this would clear up the RAM issue. After the bios update I went back and tried my Kingston Ram, putting in one 512 chip at a time. Oddly enough, it booted on 3 of the 4 chips. So I thought I had bad or incompatible RAM stick. Then I added one the other "good" ram chip and it would not boot, no matter which combination I used I could not get it to boot up with more than 1 stick. All of the RAM sticks were on the "approved" list for this mother board.

Bottom line, I think this mother board is BAD. I have a feeling that it was lying around for some time, since the Bios version was 2005!

Thanks
iwanabrich
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:23 pm

A BIOS date of 2005 isn't really that old. It may have been on the shelf for six months or more. If the system worked fine with three of the modules but not the fourth, then suspect it as being bad.. or possibly of different timings than the others. All modules installed should ideally be of equal amounts and timings. Brand name really isn't important.
And some mobos have a problem accepting more than 2 Gb in the setup.
Doesn't matter if there are memory chips on both sides of the module or one side only. The lattice structure that makes up the memory pages must be identical in all memory installs.. or the controller will be lost for understanding the differences.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby redeye53 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:06 pm

Have you tried a new power supply?
redeye53
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:54 am

Common issue with incompatible RAM.... Try this , clear the CMOS (reset the BIOS) then try the sticks... Bear in mind that if you fill all slots on a lot of motherboards, you will get varying issues from no boot to RAM clocking back....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Tech Support