Bad bad capacitors

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:54 am

Adding another brand to the "bad caps" list!
My older Chaintech S848P started acting up, so I did a cap check. Sure enough, found one near the CPU with a domed top! The brand is G-Luxon, sort of a grape-colored sleeve, 3300 mfd at 6.3 volts.. rated 105°C.
There are eight of them in a row, the others look OK.. but will have to do a check on them now and then.
Did not have a "new" identical cap, so 'borrowed' one from an old Asus mobo.. an "Ost" branded one that looked good. Will definitely get some new replacements soon!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:58 am

Both G-Luxon and OST are known bad brands. Time to hoard a batch of Rubycon :lol:

I haven't touched chaintech since socket370 for this reason.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:02 am

My second (backup) system had a failure Friday. Bad caps.
This was my older Chaintech 848P mobo, which was a reliable performer, after replacing one cap last year. The caps are the G-Luxon branded, grape-color sleeve, 3300 mfd 6.3v. 105°C rated. Will replace all of them. Found a deal on eBay for 10 new Rubycon Low ESR caps for less than $9.00 USD delivered!
May not have been the "bad caps" mutants, but they were old.. heat and age can cause caps to fail too. Just did not need this nuisance!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Both G-Luxon and OST are known bad brands.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:07 am

evasive wrote:
Both G-Luxon and OST are known bad brands.

Did note that, last time one cap failed. But the others looked good, so took the chance. Should have changed all of them back then! This time, will do so.. and hope the mobo is still good. All other caps on the board look good, except this group near the CPU. This is only a secondary system, to take the load off the primary system.. doing the F@H processes.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Sorry to be this stubborn, but if a brand is marked bad, the best (and imho only) option is to replace all caps with that brand. Sometimes it suffices to change the ones >100uF. However with fUYIYUHH and real offbrand china/taiwan cr*p, take no prisoners, replace all.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:08 am

Yes, should have done a proper recap job the first time. :roll:
Got the new caps in the mail on the 31st, and proceeded to 'recap'.
Took about two hours total, and then first restart. No life signs!
Checked all voltages, within specs. BIOS battery good, and also did a POST diagnostics test. Hanging on "code 25", extended memory check. Did a bare bones test, turns out the video card went belly-up! Was an nVidia 7600GS 512 MB AGP card. Put in an older 128 nVidia card, and all is well again. All the "bad" caps are now Rubycon quality units!
Was 'window shopping' for a newer mobo, and found a deal on an Intel BLKD975XBX2KR I975X LGA775 package with a Core 2 Duo CPU for $80.00 USD delivered! Comes with a 90-day warranty, so all I need now is memory and PCI-E video card. Likely will get into the rebuild in a week or so. Wanted to wait a few months, but when opportunity knocks, don't ignore it.
The old mobo will go up for sale.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:01 pm

the video card got bad caps too perhaps?

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/hi ... s/d975xbx2
The board can be a bit picky on memory IIRC. Best go with something from Crucial...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:21 am

The FSB master clock on this old Chaintech mobo is a bit fast.. so had DDR 433 Geil Ultra OC modules in it. When I got the video card more than two years ago (used), it did have some bad caps.. which I replaced, and had no problems until this last incident. Now the video card won't let the system function. With another good video card, all works properly.
My 'junk' box is getting full with defunct PC items, soon it will go to the recycle center.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:10 am

Found a listing of manufacturers that provided bad capacitors to the industries.. this LINK to www.badcaps.net/ .
The link is provided for reference only, and they maintain the listing.
Indeed, the main cause of 'bad' capacitors was a faulty formula for the electrolyte. But some companies bought lesser-quality units, and relabeled them to different specs. The maximum operating voltage of any capacitor should be at least 20% below its rated voltage! For "common" usage, an 85°C rating is sufficient. But a 105°C rating is required for almost all computer-related uses, or where higher temperatures are had. Error values are also critical in timing circuits, so there the advice is to use 10% or less error factor caps. Low-ESR rated capacitors are preferred for computers and security circuits. Low-ESR refers to Low Electrostatic Resistance.. a form of parasitic conductivity.
The following link is about manufacturers making Low-ESR capacitor types, and application uses.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support