The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:58 am

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:45 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I have an Asus z97-p motherboard. It works fine but if I try to make any bios settings changes, it won't boot. In order to make it boot I need to reset it with the jumper, then when the setup screen appears (after pressing f1... etc) if I exit without saving anything it boots and it works without any problems.

I can shutdown or restart the PC, it won't cause any problems. But if I press the reset button on the case, then it won't boot. As I said, if I make any changes to bios, it won't boot: a black screen with "-" will appear like

Code:
 -

I tried replacing the CMOS battery. I tried two different brands, didn't work. :(

Anyone familiar with this problem? I can't find any equivalent motherboards where I live. Only available ones are H81s. I'd like to fix my motherboard if it's possible.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:42 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

It is indeed reacting like it has a dead CMOS battery, the symptoms match. I suspect a bad contact somewhere in the battery holder, Please check the entire thing for any damge.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:07 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Turns out the problem had nothing to do with the motherboard, it's caused by my disks. Using ubuntu I erased my disks and changed their partition table to msdos. Everything is fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:01 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

LiveCD that you installed by accident? Or what exactly happened? This info may be useful to others.

Don't feel shy, I have broken more systems in more different sometimes idiotic ways than I can remember...

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:41 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Well it started happening again. But this time turning off my PSU, waiting a few seconds and turning it back on makes my pc boot and I get to keep the changes I made in bios.
Interesting thing is, if I just erase all disks, create new partition tables, install and use ubuntu, then everything works perfectly. I'm able to make as many changes in bios as I want. But with Windows, it occasionally won't boot exactly the way I described. So maybe it has something to do with things like fast boot or secure boot? I don't know.

I had os x and linux installations on both ssds and I would see boot entries of those systems in bios. I thought it had something to do with them. I'm planning to buy an nvme ssd just to see what happens.

I'll also note all changes I made since I opened this thread:
-I changed my GPU and PSU (just an upgrade)
-I got rid of my 1TB HDD (because hdd vibration) so I only have two ssds at the moment.