The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:12 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re. warranty, I can't even remember where or how I bought it. Serial isn't recognised by MS warranty checker though so not holding out much hope there. ANyway just bought a Xeon 5650.

When I got the board I accidentally bent a few pins. I bent them back into line though and got it working. I did screw the heatsink down real tight though, as it didnt work when I tightened it down at first.

After that I didn't take the thing off for a couple of years at least I don't think, but it was ostensibly running fine all that time. Overclocked it a couple of times, ran a couple of stress tests. No problems. Only crashes when I was running those years I put down to a couple of driver issues. As far I remember I didn't have too many unexplained crashes or BSODs.

The temporary chip (Xeon 5502) which is in there now is not screwed down particularly tight and working fine, so from the way it operates there doesn't seem to be an issue with the pins.

Could a CPU potentially work if say one or two pins were out of whack, but still over time deteriorate due to such a pin issue, or is the thing just never gonna POST?

Going to keep this board running as it is so feature rich and still remarkably capable machine with a high end chip considering its age. Never had a problem with it speed wise for my needs. Also, a Xeon 5650 is the same die as a 980x and costs like 50 bucks on ebay. Nevertheless, if pins could be issue causing deterioration I'd be interested to know and maybe run some tests which can detect poorly seated CPU if such software exists..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:04 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Bent pins on older ZIF socket CPU types can be straightened easily with a plastic credit card and sighting 4 ways to ensure all pins are aligned exactly. Pin straightener jigs are available for most CPU models. But with the LGA model sockets, the CPU has only contact pads. The socket has spring loaded contact pads, which can be dislodged. Not easy to fix. Good lighting, a thin pointy tool such as a dental pick, and lots of patience may get the spring loaded contact back in place. Then has to be tested for proper height and pressure!
If needed, you can get a PDF file of the socket LGA1366 pinout..
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/Intel+s ... sheet.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:47 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Yes I bent them back into line using a metal tool.

Any idea whether it would be possible for the system to o POST if, say, one pin were out of place, which could then cause damage over time even though the PC is apparently running fine, or whether unless everyone of them is making contact it wouldn't POST at all?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:10 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

The majority of pins on a CPU die are for data (OS, programming) needs. But the rest are for voltage auto-set, some may be for direct memory access. Still others may be restricted to factory testing only. A pinout diagram is available for almost all CPU types.
If looking across all the pins from a flat angle, they all should be in the same plane. Not just two views, six views.. up, side, across diagonally. Pins on a CPU that are bent toward the socket contacts may cause deformation of them.. near impossible to fix. But if a substitute CPU is tested and works properly, then the original CPU may have suffered internal damage from wrong voltage sources.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:22 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I don't have any pins on this CPU though. The CPU has only contacts. The pins I bent back into place are on the socket. Are these the pins you refer to?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:36 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

califauna wrote:
Yes I bent them back into line using a metal tool.

Any idea whether it would be possible for the system to o POST if, say, one pin were out of place, which could then cause damage over time even though the PC is apparently running fine, or whether unless everyone of them is making contact it wouldn't POST at all?

Some of them are ground pins, you have many of those and missing one might make the system less stable when maxed out or overclocked. However, if you made sure none of the pins are missing and they were looking absolutely straight when putting the CPU back on, you should be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:50 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Actual pins on the CPU die make better contact with the socket fingers. With the flat (actually slightly domed) contacts on the CPU die and in the socket, less area contact. If a CPU has pins, it is the PGA (pin grid array) design; if flat contact pads is the LGA (land grid array) design. Contacts on a CPU and other critical features are gold plated. Gold is one of very few metals that does not corrode or oxidize easily. But can still gather surface films that reduce proper contact.
Cleaning the CPU contacts is not recommended except by a pro with special brushes or tools, and specific solvents if needed.