Help with HTML

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Help with HTML

Postby audiobliss » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:44 am

I've been playing around with HTML for learning for the last year or more. However, I've only really gotten serious this last week. We left Monday and came back Thursday. During that time, whenever we were in the car, or back at the hotel room, I was working on a website. In case anyone is familiar with the book, I went through (this last week) HTML: your visual blueprint for designing effective Web pages..

One thing I've always wanted to do with my sites is have all my navigational links on the left side. This last week I learned how to use frames with the borders set to 0 to accomplish that. Is there a way to do it without using frames? How's the most efficient way to do this using frames? I'm pretty sure the way I have it set-up isn't very efficient, as I have so many pages for each 'page', and the load time isn't very fast. However, the speed may be due to the free web hosting at geocities.

I have each page broken into two horizontal frames, and the bottom one broken into two vertical frames. I coudln't see another way to do it without being just extraordinarily complex, so I have each link's (in the left navigational frame) target set to "_top" so that it just replaces the whole page. Then, I have the next page broken into the three frames again. This way, it has to load everything everytime you click on a link. I know this isn't very efficient. However, if I have the target set as "MainPage" (what I've named the biggest frame), I'm not sure exactly how that'll work. From starting at the index page, if I click on a link, it'll just replace the MainPage frame. Thus, I'll always have the other two frames present. However, what if someone bookmarks one of the other pages? When they come back to that, will the other frames be there since I don't have the frames set-up for that particular page?

I sure hope someone can understand what it is I'm trying to say. I'd really appreciate any comments and suggestions (even unrelated to this problem).

The table was fun to do. Like I said, this was for learning, so there's not a lot content. And there's not practical value to the table, it's just the only thing I could think of to make a table of. The form was also very interesting. Which leads me to another problem.

Since I'm not at all familiar with JavaScript or CGI (yet), I have the form set-up to send me the information via e-mail. (ACTION="mailto:carmike692000@yahoo.com") Someone filled out the form and submitted it, and then I filled it out and submitted it. I never got the first one, and then the e-mail I got from when I filled it out was blank. From the book I gathered that it was going to e-mail me "FORM NAME=VALUE". However, the e-mail I got was blank.

Also, once you submit the completed form, the site doesn't do anything. How would I have it re-direct you to my main page after submitting it? The book didn't address that at all.

Thanks very much for any and all help!!!

Here's my site:
www.geocities.com/carmike692000
Compaq SR1050NX:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Some Asus Motherboard
Some speed 512MB RAM
200GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
7-in-1 Media Card Reader
DVD-R/W Drive
CD Drive

Studying to build a better system!
audiobliss
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby audiobliss » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:33 am

any help....please..... :( :cry: ....
Compaq SR1050NX:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Some Asus Motherboard
Some speed 512MB RAM
200GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
7-in-1 Media Card Reader
DVD-R/W Drive
CD Drive

audiobliss
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby olly » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:20 am

Regarding using framesets. IMO they should be avoided.

Read this http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html

I recommend using SSI (Server side includes) for your navigation, that way you can maintain a seperate html file (typically just with a list of hyperlinks for your site navigation) then just include it on each of your pages like so:

<!--#include file="./leftNavigation.html"-->

(although you may need to upgrade hosts to one which supports SSI)

using SSI helps you optimize your pages and typically cuts out the need to replicate the same code on each page.

If you would like to optimise your pages further, I recommend using CSS for your layouts instead of tables.

The best web resource for css and html is here:

www.w3schools.com
olly
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby audiobliss » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:39 am

Thank you very much! I'll check out those resources you pointed out. So you're saying that I can create a table with a style sheet instead of using HTML? I didn't know that.
Compaq SR1050NX:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Some Asus Motherboard
Some speed 512MB RAM
200GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
7-in-1 Media Card Reader
DVD-R/W Drive
CD Drive

audiobliss
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby olly » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:50 am

audiobliss wrote:Thank you very much! I'll check out those resources you pointed out. So you're saying that I can create a table with a style sheet instead of using HTML? I didn't know that.

No I'm saying as a new html coder don't fall into the trap of using tables to layout your page. Use <div> and CSS instead.

Use tables to display tabular data.
olly
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Programming