voice recognition?...picking up chics or a computer

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

voice recognition?...picking up chics or a computer

Postby ped_wi » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:11 pm

Hey, there was this guy that was asking about voice activated stuff earlier in here. Why would you want to talk to your computer? Go out and talk to real people. This idea is ludicrous and i can't imagine what would compell an individual to such measures. I am not sure if he is trying to take cyber sex to the next level or what.

Later ryan,
Ben James
Athlon 64 3500+
MSI Neo2 Platinum
POWMAX Model 'V90-SEL' CASE
512 MB OCZ Platinum
GForce 6600GT
ped_wi
Initiate
Initiate

Re: voice recognition?...picking up chics or a computer

Postby kltsin » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:02 pm

ped_wi wrote:Hey, there was this guy that was asking about voice activated stuff earlier in here. Why would you want to talk to your computer? Go out and talk to real people. This idea is ludicrous and i can't imagine what would compell an individual to such measures. I am not sure if he is trying to take cyber sex to the next level or what.

Later ryan,

I guess you are speaking about voice recognition, If you have the link to the thread in question that would have helped alot.

Voice recognition is a VERY usefull tool.
Take a look at Microsoft Plus, it includes voice recognition to play media files.
Options such as shuffle music, goto the next song, mute, pause, play a certain band or song..
At parties alone this would be very helpful for music files.. what about watching TV/Movie that is connected to a pc.. no more searching for a remote..

Or someone who cant type very well... simple Dictation, no more secretary or typing... Words become text just by talking.

The handicapped as well need this more than anyone.
Just because a human doesnt respond doeant mean it would be stupid to speak.
Im sure you have used voice recognition many times your self, automated services via the telephone that ask you what city and state.....
What about cell phones where you just say a friends name and it dials it for you..
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Toby B. » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:27 pm

Voice recognition as of a few years ago when I last used it, sucked A$$!!! I for one can only speak in the same monotone voice as frequently as I can sign my signiture the same...........Which is/was NEVER!!!

In other words, unless you have an absolutely perfect voice that never changes AT ALL. And you speak in absolute clarity all the time then voice recognition wont work properly....
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby kltsin » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:21 am

Toby B. wrote:Voice recognition as of a few years ago when I last used it, sucked A$$!!! I for one can only speak in the same monotone voice as frequently as I can sign my signiture the same...........Which is/was NEVER!!!

In other words, unless you have an absolutely perfect voice that never changes AT ALL. And you speak in absolute clarity all the time then voice recognition wont work properly....

Software updates and gets better all of the time, it depends on the program.
As I said above voice recognition is used by the telephone companys to help you find a number etc..
Plain and simple it works with the right setup and even if you have to repeat stuff to get it to learn it works.
The topic is,"talking to a machine and is it ludicrous"....
No its not.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: voice recognition?...picking up chics or a computer

Postby Copper » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:30 am

ped_wi wrote:Hey, there was this guy that was asking about voice activated stuff earlier in here. Why would you want to talk to your computer? Go out and talk to real people. This idea is ludicrous and i can't imagine what would compell an individual to such measures. I am not sure if he is trying to take cyber sex to the next level or what.

Later ryan,

how about disbled people or people or are blind or have very poor eye sight. should they be excluded from using computers
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:45 pm

that's the main use for my project in TTS and voice recognition. it's for visually impaired or those with learning disabilities (auditory learners vs. visual learners).

recently i found out my credit card provider has their call centers switched to a mix of recordings with voice recognition traversing their menus and options. it was really interesting actually...

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby kltsin » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:30 pm

Heck I think its pretty freakin cool.

On a side note I used to play online games using Teamspeak ( playing raven shield) late at night. At first it felt really wierd sitting there and talking to seemingly no one, my kids would come down stairs and look at me funny, then i would tell others to say hi to my daughter(s)/son, they would and all she could say is your wierd and go back to bed...

After time it became natural to talk to the PC..
Using Voice Recognition, I was suprised it was able to respond to voice commands with all of my 7 speakers blasting PUNK ROCK, once VR learned my voice, I didnt even have to shout, just be with in a 3 feet of the mic...

Wish I could tell my car radio to change the song ........
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby mellowyellow » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:03 pm

Been to your doctor's office lately? Ever see all those shelves and shelves of folders that store patients' medical records? How about all the boxes and boxes and boxes of billing records? Imagine being able to use that medical records space for exam rooms -- an asset rather than a liability. Imagine not having to pay over a $1000 a month to store paper records required by law to be kept sometimes for as long as 21 years. Imagine not having to send a staffer on the clock over to some warehouse to retrieve a file on a patient who has come back for a visit after not being seen for seven years.

Now imagine being able to dictate all that info into your computer, store it on a server, and retrieve it as needed virtually instantly.

Perhaps the idea isn't quite so ludicrous after all. :wink:
mellowyellow
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby hellforgedangel » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:11 pm

IBM also developed a voice recognition system for people who perform autopsy's (sorry cant remember the job title). Anyway the idea was they could now use a computer to write their report AS they do their job. Obviously before this was no easy task as their hands would be covered in all sorts of loverly body parts so a keyboard would be a big no no (it could aslo lead to contamination of evidence)
hellforgedangel
Initiate
Initiate

Postby beeboy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:23 pm

Nothing wrong with voice recognition. I've used Dragon Naturally Speaking and Viavoice. Depending on the quality of your sound card and microphone, results are excellent.
Both programs are ideal for those with poor typing skills or handicaps.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to Programming