Public Opinion needed

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Public Opinion needed

Postby Toby B. » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:16 am

I am currently redesigning my site and moving things around. During this process I am trying to refine the info on my site. The area in most dier (sp?) need of public input are the board pages...

I am consolidating folders so that I don't have multiple folders containing duplicate images, etc...

So, please tell me what you think of this sample:
http://www.s87841630.onlinehome.us/mode ... focus.html

Thanks
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Myth » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:20 am

It's clean and to the point. Nice to have all the systems it's found in. A little boring from an artistic standpoint.
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby EmilyB » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:24 am

Plain, straight forward and easy to read. I really like it. Too much glitter and glamour can be distracting, but this is very easy to understand (even by me :oops:)
EmilyB

Postby Toby B. » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:26 am

A little boring from an artistic standpoint.
Well, I am not the best artist, nor do I have Paintshop Pro or similar programs....Not only that I cannot use HP/Compaq logos on the site because of leagal issues.

I might customize it a bit more (add in a header include) to somewhat follow the design on the rest of the site soon.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby colinJohn » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:33 am

pretty straightforward; just what's needed for an info site. Couple of points:

Just in case it's a browser issue, in my view the top right text does not align (1 line dropped). Firefox v1.0

I think you need the name of the board (OEM Asus A7N8X-LA) top left highlighted as this is where the eye goes first.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Toby B. » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:01 pm

colinJohn wrote:pretty straightforward; just what's needed for an info site. Couple of points:

Just in case it's a browser issue, in my view the top right text does not align (1 line dropped). Firefox v1.0

I think you need the name of the board (OEM Asus A7N8X-LA) top left highlighted as this is where the eye goes first.

The right text meaning to the right of the image? Thats not supposed to be aligned...

Could you get a screenshot so I can see exactly what your seeing? PS I just got the header include added!
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Myth » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:07 pm

I'm not talking about going crazy but you could use something simple like this:

-or-

Just an idea. I noticed that you have a very pretty rich red for your main background. These could compliment. Just some ideas to play with.
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Myth » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:12 pm

colinJohn wrote:pretty straightforward; just what's needed for an info site. Couple of points:

I guess on tech info boards that is what is needed. Less clutter, less visual stuff to get lost in. I was just thinking out loud. Just put me in my corner and give me a time-out. I guess my opinion came from my recent search for some info on a laptop we were working on here. I got tired of all the grey / white tech sites. They're clean and allow you to see the info you're searching for better than one that's all "gussied up". ..... Now I'm rambling (I'm sick today - low fever.... Just ignore me if I go off in some strange world :roll: ).
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Toby B. » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:19 pm

Myth I will definately look into that. Need to learn how to code background images in CSS... 8O

I have the distinct feeling I am going to need to break down and put my other computer back together tonight so I can do more at one time.... This laptop is in the midst of a constant brain fart...
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby MoboCop » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:50 pm

looks clean to me, Toby, but after looking at the source code I have a couple of comments.

You should always have a doctype declaration at the top of your html.

Dump the java code for the date and use php. Much simpler.

<?php
echo date("F j, Y");
?>

You also could look into xhtml and css for layout. Everything you are doing could be done cross browser with much less code and much easier maintenance.

For example the listed specs on the board are layed out using tables. Lots of cells and such. You could use a definition list (standard html code) for the same effect with much less code.

The main reason though is when you decide to change the layout (and you will) you have both layout and design elements all through your code. Updating these pages will be a lot of work. If you layout all the content in standard xhtml elements and use css for positioning and design you can pretty much change it at will from your css file.

Some other recommendations. I would put all html tags in lower case. In all the current version of html (xhtml) this is becoming mandatory. Will help you later on when you convert if you do it now.

Also your keywords are bloated, for those search engines that actually still check your keywords (google does not) you should list from 3-5 keywords per page and they should tie in directly with the actual content on the page (this is to optimize for search engine placement). Some search engines will penalize your listing for too many keywords. Especially when their is not correlating content on the page.

Sorry for the long rant, let me know if you have any questions or anything.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Next

Return to Programming