Why is this forum always dead?

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Why is this forum always dead?

Postby olly » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:39 pm

I dont post on motherboards.org much as I dont have much knowledge of hardware. Although I like lurking and picking up knowledge here and there.

However I was thrilled to see a programming forum appear, as an IT student with my degree heavily focused on software development.

I thought this forum would give me good reason to lurk on motherboards.org 24/7 which can only be good for improving my knowledge of all things hardware related 8)

However every time I check back here there are no new posts :(

I can't believe that in that ocean of system engineers out there on the other forums there isn't a coder or two :wink:
olly
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby MoboCop » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:41 pm

Well it is a fairly new forum and the way I figure it most programmers have specific programming dedicated forums that they use.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby olly » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:45 pm

MoboCop wrote:Well it is a fairly new forum and the way I figure it most programmers have specific programming dedicated forums that they use.

Well I think its a great addition. I hope it takes off. 8) I'll be checking back every day anyway :)
olly
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby dve83 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:54 am

Well I think its a great addition. I hope it takes off

I 2nd that! :) a great addition indeed.
-dve83- Folding for 33258
Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2,AMD Athlon X2 5200+, 6GB DDR2-800, Seagate 250GB 7200 RPM, Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM,
460W Coolermaster PSU, Windows 7

"Perhaps it's not paranoia. Perhaps it's just finesse." - dve83
dve83
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:53 am

Programming is a lot like work... Many PC users are just looking to surf the Web or play games, not so many are motivated enough to learn Programming.

And I think that this web site attracts hardware folks ("tinkerers") more than technical ("Programmers") - but this forum is where we can discuss programming issues, so that's a good thing.

Programming reminds me a bit of when I was in the Army (EOD) and was in a detachment of volenteers who disarmed bombs - folks might say that we were crazy - but we'd just smile and agree - pointing out that it was "the right kind of crazy" - kind of like programming... :lol:
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby atang1 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:03 am

If you only have time, you should be a moderator in this catagory, programming. And later, mobocop might add a subcatagory, namely drivers.

Mobocop is too busy to take care of moderating here.

I am also spending too much time on tiny linux distro websites to train developers. Linux needs some guidance on driver programming in 2.6.x packages, especially ambiguous devices using DSP or soundchips. Universal drivers for character devices are generic and can be shared modules among hardware devices and compiled in usr files instead of /dev files.

The tiny Linux distros let us go from simple data to plug-in tools to add sophistication in programming. Its wonderful to explore Linux philosophy to the fullest.
atang1

Postby MoboCop » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:12 am

atang1 wrote:If you only have time, you should be a moderator in this catagory, programming. And later, mobocop might add a subcatagory, namely drivers.

Mobocop is too busy to take care of moderating here.

I am also spending too much time on tiny linux distro websites to train developers. Linux needs some guidance on driver programming in 2.6.x packages, especially ambiguous devices using DSP or soundchips. Universal drivers for character devices are generic and can be shared modules among hardware devices and compiled in usr files instead of /dev files.

The tiny Linux distros let us go from simple data to plug-in tools to add sophistication in programming. Its wonderful to explore Linux philosophy to the fullest.

I am not too busy. I do moderate here. I answer the questions that I know, which is typically php mysql or html topics.

I have been learning c# lately so I expect to be able to help with that language now too.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby atang1 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:02 am

I tend to start with not the mechanics of programming but the philosophy of languages and scripts. Each language and script philosophy separates the languages and scripts for their own good.

Thomas has a lot of experience and forms his own philosophy. I really enjoy what he writes. Grab him if you can?

On the otherhand, you are looking at C# which has all the multimedia instructions, the latest software language for the latest hardware in computer architecture. I am still on the virtuals of tiny cobol interpreter, pointed out by Mr. Bowman.

Simplicity has its own virtuals. Its easier to understand.
atang1

Return to Programming