A little help with tables

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

A little help with tables

Postby Falklian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:33 pm

I'm trying to make a website for a game I play with some friends. Right now, I want to get a logo in the absolute upper left-hand corner. I have it big enough that it can be viewed in resolutions up to 1600x1200 and still stretch accross the entire browser window and not come to an end. I got it to work with tables and CSS, but it only shows up correctly in Firefox and Opera, but not in Internet Explorer. I tried using a layer, but I get a scroll bar at the bottom of the page, which I don't want. Anyone have an idea of how I can get this accomplished and work in IE?

http://votstorm.home.mchsi.com/testindex.html to get an idea of what I want it to look like (what it does look like anyway in other browsers other than IE :wink: )
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby MoboCop » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:25 pm

I dont use tables anymore for layout. You could accomplish the same thing as you have now with much less code (no tables) using divs and css blocks.

It would be easier to read the code and to maintain it as well. It may be a little trickier to get working across the 4 major browsers but it can be done.

Your layout is a simple two column layout with a header.

Here is a simple tabless template for a 2 column layout with a header if you are interested.

http://bluerobot.com/web/layouts/layout1.html

As for solving the issue in IE with your table design try changing the line in your header class

right: 0
to
left: 0

and see if that helps.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Falklian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:56 pm

D'oh! So obvious! But when I did that, the gap moved from the left side to the right side. So I messed around with all that for a while, nothing worked. Finally did this:

margin: 0px;

That fixed it, threw it in the body tag. Which is probably wrong and will break other things, but I'm learning here :wink:
Last edited by Falklian on Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Falklian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:56 pm

Edit: Double post
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby MoboCop » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:04 pm

Falklian wrote:D'oh! So obvious! But when I did that, the gap moved from the left side to the right side. So I messed around with all that for a while, nothing worked. Finally did this:

margin: 0px;

That fixed it, threw it in the body tag. Which is probably wrong and will break other things, but I'm learning here :wink:

glad it is working. If you get a chance check out tableless layout design. It has made my life much easier.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Falklian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:10 pm

MoboCop wrote:glad it is working. If you get a chance check out tableless layout design. It has made my life much easier.

I actually ended up scrapping the tables and ended up with layers. I did do a little combining with tables though, mainly to get certain layouts with images. I've known HTML for a while but am just really learning CSS and I really do like it, very nice stuff.
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby MoboCop » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:15 am

for images do a google search for css thumbnails wrapping or similar, there are a few articles out there on how to do it with css.

Can get them to line up evenly and wrap to next line automatically when browser is resized.

I use this technique in our reviews. Works great and much less code to manage.
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Return to Programming