MOBO COP!

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

MOBO COP!

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:32 pm

I got my books. I got the PHP/ MYSQL Bible. I got the Bible because I like the Bible. This is my third Bible. I also got a book on XHTML. I got a reference style book for XHTML because I dont need alot of explaining on how evreything works. I just need to know what the differences are and what they do. XHTML is pretty much the same as HTML so it shouldnt be all that hard to learn. Anyways,... I have a question. I just installed apache to my system. I have had apache before but it's been awhile. I am running it on my XP machine. I want to use it to test my PHP. The thing is I cant check out my index.htm through the server or I cant get it to serve anything. My computer is behind a Linksys 4 port router and I have comcast with a dynamic IP address. I know I need a dynamic DNS host to append my current IP to my web address but there has to be another way around that. I remember some other way of getting to my site without using a dynamic DNS and a web address. I tried going to my site through my current IP but I keep getting the linksys login. I had my gurlfriends brother set my machine up as the dmz host which enables all ports on my machine. I dont have my firewall running. I dont know whats up. Any ideas? About the dmz host,... I dont know if that has anything to do with it but theres a slight chance that my gurlfirends brother didnt make me the dmz host, even though he said he did. He is weird like that. What do you think?
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:39 pm

put your docs in htdocs directory under your apace install then go to

http://localhost
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby nascarfool.com » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:25 pm

Are you interested in Perl ?
My Trading References
Like Nascar ? Come visit and talk about your favorite driver.
nascarfool.com
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:40 pm

Sweet! I will try. I was goign to learn perl but the good man mobocop said to go for PHP. He also said it couldnt hurt to know both so I will learn perl shortly after php.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Toby B. » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:38 pm

One WARNING about running a webserver from home. Whether or not it is a "public" or a "private" server. You need to check your TOS with your ISP...
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby tribaloverkill » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:51 pm

Whats TOS and why?
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:58 pm

I am somewhat disappointed,... I like read through the first couple of pages of my PHP book and I just don't know. The few pages that I read talked about hosting your website and the many ways you could do just that. I could either host it myself or have someone else host it. Hosting it myself would be the best because I would have control. Plus I would have an unlimited amout space. The bandwidth would be crap but,... it would still be good enough to serve a few people at a time, which is all I am really looking to do,... for now. Now,... I know that Comcast doesnt allow the running of web servers on their clients machines. They actually dont allow any kind of server to be run on their clients machines. this is what I was told along time ago by a comcast rep. What would happen if they found out? How would they find out? That really pisses me off. I wanted to learn PHP so I could create a really fancy site utilizing what I learned. I want my site hosted without getting in trouble. I dont want to use the free servers becaise they load your site with a ton of crappy ads. Plus from what the book had said,... if they even allow php,... they are slow to upgrade. I am learning PHP%, I want to use PHP5. I dont have the cash to pay for an ad free bandwidth either. Plus,... your bandwidth it limited. That stuff is alot of money. I would kill for a T1 at the house but that is REALLY expensive! The book said the more companies allow a cgi bin to execute compiled scripts rather then PHP. PHP sucks when compiled(book said that). I am very frustrated. Anyone know of any free hosting that allow a good amount of space, good bandwith, as little ads as possible, PHP5,.... or do you guyz have any other advice?
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:47 pm

run a local host setup for your development and testing environment. When you have a site ready for prime time get a cheap host to avoid the ads.

Try ipower web. like 7.95 a month and loaded with features.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby tribaloverkill » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:53 pm

Ok,... thanks.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Toby B. » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:14 pm

tribaloverkill wrote:Whats TOS and why?
TOS = Terms OF Service. Not following them can get you into trouble with your Internet Provider.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Return to Programming