HTML Question

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

HTML Question

Postby Kenny Rogers » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:08 pm

I am writing up a web page that contains 50 rollovers. The page has 50 thumbnail images, and a single viewing window for viewing the enlarged images. The idea is to have a page that loads instantly, yet has 50 high-quality JPEGs that load when you mouse over the thumbnails.

My question is this: Will this page take a long time to load, due to all of the high-quality JPEGs, or will these individual high-quality JPEGs only load into the cache as the mouse activates them?

Ken
Kenny Rogers
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby MoboCop » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:05 pm

depends on the code you are using and the size of the thumbnails, speed of server, etc. There are many factors to consider.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby netaces2k » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:25 am

Having done a roll-over setup... To be honest here, I wouldn't do this. The problem is the roll-over code (HTML/Java) doesn't matter. The web page will wind up being very large. For users of broadband it's not a problem, but for all of the dial-up users this will be a total headache. Not to mention it will constantly consume your web site bandwidth as the page is visited...
netaces2k

Postby tribaloverkill » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:14 am

Well,... if you absolutely have to use high quality jpegs then your best bet is to pre-cache all your images onLOAD. Depending on the size of your thumbnails, they should show up right away. At the same time they are loading, the larger version will be loading too. Hopefully the users connection will be fast enough to precache the larger versions in time for veiwing. You could be sneaky and create some kinda of visible something to signify that the image is loading so that you dont leave the user scratching their heads as to where the image is. It could be a simple "Loading,..." or it could be an animated something. I would try for the animated seeing that it would possibly buy you a couple of seconds of the users time as they are so facinated with your little animated loading whatever. You know what I mean?
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Programming