Noob programmer. Learning PHP, MySQL, Apache web development

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Noob programmer. Learning PHP, MySQL, Apache web development

Postby Rabidwerewolf » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:35 am

I've also wanted to learn web and web page development and programming, but I just never got off my duff to. I finally went out and bought a book after doing a little research, Beginning PHP, Apache, MySQL Web Development by wrox. From what I read at several PHP sites, this is a good, easy to understand and thorough book.

I do have a few questions and please feel free to give my any advice since the only programming I know, and I'm a little rusty at from not using it in awhile, is basic from high school and college years and years ago. Here are the questions:

1. Do I need to learn Java or any other html before I start learning PHP?

It doesn't that I need to right now, but since I'm new at this, I could be wrong.

2. Are there other books I should go out and get besides the one I purchased?

I know there is the PHP Bible which I plan on getting.

3. Besides www.php.net, www.mysql.com and www.netcraft.com, what are some other good web sites that would help me?

Again, any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. This is probably going to development into something more than a hobby as I'm planning on going back to school either spring or summer of 2005 for a computer technology related field.
Rabidwerewolf
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby kltsin » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:47 pm

Im in your boat, I am a junior admin (see my links) but I dont know crap about any of that.

Im the data guy. Even guys that were using mysql and asp saw php and saw what it can do were intrigued.

Your best bet would be to setup a local php and play with it.
java code is not needed. unless you want to develope a certain java app.

You need to understand how everything works first and go from there, tweak and tweak..

comprehension only gets you so far, using it forces you to grow.

Mobocop and a few others are quick to help when a issue arises, just ask.
Get your feet wet, ive kept my feet dry.... but understand what it takes
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:46 am

Define a 'probelm' or 'solution' for yourself. Then work on it.

Book learning is best when mixed with some development using the book as reference (I avoid memorizing, since the book will change).
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby kltsin » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:32 pm

I made a booboo in my first post, Should have said reading books can only get you so far, playing around and tweaking is the only way you can comprehend it.

Also note that views will differ from a web designer and web artist greatly.

There a few older threads in here that deals with this as well and you could search for them, but the links you gave initially are probably better forums than this one for that sort of thing.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Rabidwerewolf » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:44 pm

Thanks for the advice and insight so far as well as the encouragement. I will search for topics here as well.
Rabidwerewolf
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:29 pm

you do not need to learn java.

php.net is the best site...although I access it via my google speedbar mostly in this format.

php manual array

which usually will give me the link to the manual page on php.net first.

a great book for specific problem solving is php cookbook by oreilly which tackles recipes for common webmaster issues using php.

using google to search for tutorials can be helpful as well. I have not found a really definitive php resource that I use regularly

Also feel free to post specific questions in this forum. I will try to answer them for you.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Rabidwerewolf » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:36 am

Thanks Mobocop, and I will take you up on your offer. Just lock this puppy if I ask too many. :P :wink: :lol:
Rabidwerewolf
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:20 pm

Rabidwerewolf wrote:Thanks Mobocop, and I will take you up on your offer. Just lock this puppy if I ask too many. :P :wink: :lol:

bring it!
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby MoboCop » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:21 pm

so how is the learning going?
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Return to Programming