Website revenue discussion

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:30 am

colinJohn wrote:The recent sponsored links for me are a step too far for lots of reasons but mainly because they have turned me into the offender. It is MY words that cause the bloody advert to happen and I have no editorial control over what I'm apparently endorsing. The last advert I was pushing was for Dell for God's sake - I really resent that.

Are you serious? Anyone with half a brain cell knows that you not endorsing any of those sponsored links. I think they a neat and if they keep the pop-ups and other annoyances away, so be it.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Toby B. » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:09 am

Lets keep the discussion civil...
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby colinJohn » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:18 am

Generally speaking I dislike the growth of advertising and sponsorship but I'm all grown up now and understand why it's necessary. But the big difference here is that by posting a message on these boards it's ME that generetates the bloody stuff.

Of course all us sophisticated webweary users wont be fooled by the sponsorship here but that's not my point. I simply do not wish to be a party to the proliferation of junk on the web.

As they say, there's more ways of killing a cat than stuffing cream up its backside. There are many ways to get revenues from free to user sites; thankfully it's not my job to find them.

I can't believe the stuff works anyway - can you?

I'm glad to see that mobocop, good man that he is, has knocked it on the head in forums so I can stop ranting now. possibly.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby tribaloverkill » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:18 am

OK OK OK. Well,... if you don't like it oyu can misspell all the most common words associated with computers:) I only seen a phew of these links. It looks as if the site attacks words relating to computer and such, just misspell them so the site will overlook them.
tribaloverkill
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:58 am

tribaloverkill wrote:OK OK OK. Well,... if you don't like it oyu can misspell all the most common words associated with computers:) I only seen a phew of these links. It looks as if the site attacks words relating to computer and such, just misspell them so the site will overlook them.

while I personally dont find it offensive or annoying as a user myself, I can see how some might. Running it in the forums was an experiment and not critical in any way.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Peanya » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:29 am

Well I do have some feedback to give here:
1 - What I'd do is find out what sections of the site get used the most (not counting regular visitors such as myself, as over time we usually ignore the ads), then target the visitors that way.
2 - consider possible additional changes to the site. What would make more people want to visit motherboards.org? The more traffic, the more advertising income potential. Look at sites like anandtech.com who is extremely popular (despite a pretty closed minded staff when it comes to discussing opinions), Hardocp.com, Tomshardware.com (tho I like them less and less I visit there, they are popular), theinquirer.net, guru3d.com
3 - possibly adding a downloads section (yeah this would add to the cost, but can have specific sponsored links. Downloads such as useful utilities like CPUz, video drivers, tweaks, etc.
4 - more reviews! Computer nuts and people just needing computer/parts rely on reviews to help make a purchase decision. I want to know about what's the best for the money, and what's coming out; I'll bet I'm not the only one! I usually rely on many other sites for this. I'm hoping some day I can become a reviewer for a site as well. :mrgreen:
5 - have a daily specials section hosted by one or more retailers. A few quick links on popular items.

There's a lot of stuff I have in mind that I know would work real well. Just by what I said, you really can't get the full picture. These changes would be small, one step at a time of course!
I've even had some crazy ideas such as adding models to a funny section, for a semi serious review. "Chicks and chips" "Hard drives and hard bodies" :lol: :P :twisted:
I'm not good at programming of sites, but I'll gladly draw out what my ideas are like (the serious ones) if you want Mobocop, just let me know.
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby atang1 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:47 am

Since mobocop does the ad , the revenue depends on getting computer national chains to do some advertizing. Fry's, best buy, Micro center, compUSA, tigerdirect, Proadvantage, etc. to name a few.
atang1

Previous

Return to Programming