Desire to begin learning programming

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby MoboCop » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:47 pm

EvLwMn wrote:Well dudes, I have to say you are absolutely right. No one wants to hire you on permanently. And it's not just with programmers: It's with System Admins, Systems Engineers, Network Engineers, etc. Any of the skilled IT Pros - we are all having trouble.

I have been looking hard for a job since June. I was laid off after 3 months with a company that I moved 400 miles to take a job with. They said "lack of work" was the reason. Right.

Bottom line - there is no job security any more so you'd better be prepared to move wherever you need to go to make a living.

Sad but true.

Nice to see you posting here!
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby netaces2k » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:28 am

The unfortunate part of the problem is the Monopolies have a priority. Their IRS corporate bottom line. Their priority DOESN'T include it's employees. The basic worker earns less than 1/20th the wages the board members earn. The reason. Pure GREED!

I've known may people who have moved out of my area to find work in another field/industry. I see this all of the time. The one thing that bothers me most is the idea of 'In the USA' or being loyal to your company means nothing to an employer.
netaces2k

Postby sirams » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:10 am

If you want to make apps and games for Windows I offer to start with C++, don' t waste your time with Visual Basic. I do programming with DirectX and in the Microsoft's DirectX SDK it is said that there are many things of DX that are available only from C++.
I can tell you how I started programming C++ (it was 3 years ago, I used Pascal previously). At first I got MS Visual C++ 6.0 and a lots of Microsoft Foundation Classes samples and Win32 help files. I started with studying simple apps like TicTac Toe. You can download on the Web "Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 days" or something like that, there are really good step by step instructions. When I felt that I am ready to something harder I got DirectX SDK and now I can do a little 3D programming although I am more interested in DirectSound. Now I am working at software synth which routes it's output channels to DirectX compatible effects. So, you can see that during last 3 years I have moved from not knowing C++ at all to understanding DirectX. That wasn't hard.
Good luck!
sirams
Green Belt
Green Belt

Previous

Return to Programming