Free php hosting?

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Free php hosting?

Postby aj1pso » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:24 pm

Is there such a beast? Perhaps even with mySQL?

I had a friend that did the hosting thing for me as I was just using it to learn the language and didnt bother anyone but that is gone so I'm homeless now :cry:

Anyone know a decent and free php/mysql host? I'm completely broke :?
aj1pso
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby hypnotik » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:43 pm

IllusionFX

They are free, including MySQL, but you need quite a good idea of what you want to do with your site, as they do get a lot of applicants.

Alternatively, for $23 you can get a years hosting w/ 100MB storage, 2GB transfer per month and unlimited MySQL databases at Onehost
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

-Voltaire
hypnotik
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby aj1pso » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:31 pm

That illusionfxnet thing sounds too good to be true. I applied but I doubt I'm gonna be approved or whatever, they must be getting thousands of applications a day.

Any other free options?

Edit: Yup. Denied. They didnt even give me a reason for it, my application was flawless. Oh well.

Guess the search goes on...
aj1pso
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby atang1 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:23 am

Free phpbb webhosting is available at a few sites. They are quite nice but webmasters made all the difference. Debugging is difficult because webmasters are as green as you are.

I have tried three different ones.

They all have phpbb 2.0 versions, which is quite nice. and without any limitations on the size of your web site. This is application service provider solution. Everyone use the same phpbb software except each one of us has a different account for mysql or other database.

Domain names are not distinguished, It is one of their subdomain. It is hard to get recognition without a paid domain name in any search engines. So, you have to have your own members to register on your website. Because all the free websites are on one computer, bandwidth is limited. Most important is that, these computers are not failsafe Raid 5 clusters.

You can buy a domain name and redirect to the free website. But when its free, you have no guarantees or warrenties. So, you have to have a few free websites to backup your data?

Good luck.
atang1

Return to Programming