The best langauge to learn?

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby trophyhunter_1 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:25 pm

COBOL, because its never going away :twisted:
Asus K8V Deluxe
Athlon 64 mobile 2800+ (1.4 vcore, 1MB cache)
(25C idle, 28C load)
Thermalright SLK-948U Heatsink
Vantec Tornado 92mm fan
2 sticks Mushkin 256MB PC-3200 Basic Green
ePOWER PUMA II 450W
trophyhunter_1
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:14 pm

There's a COBOL product for PC's called Micro Focus COBOL.

It isn't going away nor being taught much in the USA (it is in India, China, Russia, etc.)
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Davek804 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:00 am

whats COBOL?
"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey."
Davek804
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:58 am

COmmon Business Oriented Language

It is highly structured, to make it possible for non-technical staff to look at it to see if it is satisfying business rules, it can also be fairly easily maintained (I am working on Medicare/Medicaid programs from the early 1970's, which are revised every time law changes how those plans work, which is quite often - recently revised extensively for HIPAA).

It is often used on mainframes, with various JCL (Job Control Language - used to relate files to devices and control flow of program execution) or CICS (Customer Interface Command System - to interface with real-time I/O such as terminals [sometimes thousands at once from a single program using different storage - see :Re-enterable program]) and possibly REXX (more of a script than a language).

COBOLII is the 'current' COBOL, which is designed to easily use 'XA' Mainframe memory or "above the line", although there are versions that run on nearly any platform including PC's (usually for development or training).

Try going to your favorite technical book seller's site and searching for "COBOL Programming"... :wink:
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby trophyhunter_1 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:35 pm

When IBM came out with Universal Database (UDB) for DB2, that pretty much guaranteed COBOL/CICS is gonna be around for a while.

I just came off a huge development project last year that uses a JAVA front end with a COBOL/CICS backend with frontend/backend having access to the DB2/UDB.
Asus K8V Deluxe
Athlon 64 mobile 2800+ (1.4 vcore, 1MB cache)
(25C idle, 28C load)
Thermalright SLK-948U Heatsink
Vantec Tornado 92mm fan
2 sticks Mushkin 256MB PC-3200 Basic Green
ePOWER PUMA II 450W
trophyhunter_1
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:56 pm

And recently, COBOL's CICS interface added Web I/O support for direct interface to Web - it will grow with our computing needs (DB2 interface has been around for awhile, but the newer versions of DB2 are more efficient and capable of 'explaining' plans for retrieval - so easier to tune also).
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby aj1pso » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:44 pm

How good is C++ with programs that use the web? Is Vbasic better?

Just curious :roll:
aj1pso
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:30 am

I would think that C++ is more 'low=level', thus efficient.

Also, I have some apprehension about M$ support of VB, it seems to be part of Microsoft's philosophy of "replace every two years" - which might be nice for Microsoft, but annoys me personally.

More games are written in C++ than VB.

For web use, I might suggest JAVA ?
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby netaces2k » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:53 am

At the risk getting someone annoyed... I'll say this.

It depends on who you ask, what is the best language?

The simple truth is there isn't one. All programmers have a favorite for one reason or another. The main thing is each programmer learns at a different rate and in a different way.

This influences how the programmer will act later. For me it was an interest I picked up from my father. But, I learned most of what I know on my own. Despite the fact that my father was teaching part time when I was young.

In order to become a successful programmer, you should be an avid reader. This helps because of the necessity of looking up things and researching subroutines and such for each project.

It also helps if you don't mind doing alot of 'jocky-ing' around with different programs (applications, etc) as you work. In the programming world this is just part of the norm.

Whether you choose BASIC, C++, Pascal or Assembly you will have to get books on it and study, study, study, study...

A good part of being a good programmer is being able to know what pieces must come together to make the program do what it needs to get the job done.

I suggest looking at some source code. The internet has lots out there. And you'll find something you like and you think "ok, I understand what they basically mean and what this is trying to do...".

But if you need more, just ask... :)
netaces2k

Postby unterhausen » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:23 am

[quote="thomas_w_bowman"]There's a COBOL product for PC's called Micro Focus COBOL.

It isn't going away nor being taught much in the USA (it is in India, China, Russia, etc.)[/quote]

When I remember programming in Cobol, it reminds me of those dreams I've had where I was running and running and couldn't get anywhere. It's so verbose. I'm sure our lives would be poorer if it didn't exist, but it's amazing that there much continuing development in Cobol.
unterhausen
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Programming