Microsoft Outlook

Discuss all aspects of programming here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Microsoft Outlook

Postby c327 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:36 am

Recently installed Windows 10 and want to use outlook for my email but set up to accept my Gmail. In the past I have used Outlook Express 6 because of the simple way it looks and works and is set up to receive all my Gmail. I want to do the same thing with Outlook on my Windows 10 PC. Have been looking around the internet but it seems I have to sign up with Microsoft first is that correct? Any way to get around that and still use Outlook?
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Microsoft Outlook

Postby Mr T » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:48 am

No, you basically need to sign up to windows 10 or windows 8/8.1 in order to use the app store and access certain features. I use my M$ account across multiple PC's and the old Xbox 360. there are other email clients that you can use - I use outlook simply as I get office at a reduced price from work, however I tend to look at my emails on my ISP website to avoid downloading spam, trash and viruses...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:22 am

I do not want to use the App Store and have no intentions to in the future. All I had interest in was installing Outlook as my email but I can not find it in Windows 10 to install. I checked Microsoft's website and do not see it there by itself to install. All I am coming up with is having to sign up with Microsoft which I do not want to do if I don't have to. Have been using Gmail configured to use OE 6 on XP Pro and it always worked great and simple to use so I figured I would do the same with Outlook to see if it would work out.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Roach412 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:11 pm

you must associate your outlook(office in general) software to a Microsoft account upon install in order to activate it - a MS account is required for this action. you cannot avoid this.

once set up you can associate whatever other email provider you want to it.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby c327 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Roach412 wrote:you must associate your outlook(office in general) software to a Microsoft account upon install in order to activate it - a MS account is required for this action. you cannot avoid this.

once set up you can associate whatever other email provider you want to it.

-Roach

Thanks, that's what it looked like to me. It used to be outlook express came with the OS. Gmail now reads your mail and gives suggestions as to what they think the reply should be......what bull ----

Any way after using Windows 10 for a couple of weeks it's my opinion the engineers at Microsoft must be smoking something they shouldn't when they designed this OS for home users.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:53 am

Outlook Express is dead, it was transformed to Microsoft Mail which is part of the Messenger Suite. It already died in Vista...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ok-express

Outlook (no-Express) is part of the Microsoft Office Suite which is paid software.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Programming