n00b at networking

Moderator: The Mod Squad

n00b at networking

Postby HollowPoint69 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:22 pm

OK, I'm very very unfamiliar with networking. I can basically say "hokay, I'm connected to the router, and the routers connected to the modem. Yay!"

Where's a good place to get the sparknotes version of networking? I realize that in order to become proficient, I'll need to read much mroe than just a general overview, but can someone a) direct me to a good site, or b) give me networking in a nutshell?

It's different than PC components, which is what I'm much more proficient at :oops:
HollowPoint69

Postby ajrox » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:33 am

IMHO your best bet is to take a class. MCP would be perfect. just be sure it is the windows server class and not the XP class. {you need only one class for your MCP}. not all that hard really as long as it is "instructor lead" classes. be sure there are hands on labs allso. i was kinda like yourself at one time, unsure of where to go and what to do. MCP worked for me because everyone has used or is currently running a windows operating system. if you know how the server administers a client then figuring where the client comes in is alot easier from there. some of the things you'll learn about:
some network hardware
some computer hardware
IP addressing
network services
subnet masks
DNS
DHCP
setting up a workgroup
setting up a domain
setting up file sharing
setting up print sharing
NTFS and SHARE permissions
so for networking in a nutshell.....just look at some of the tech schools in your area and see what they are offering. things too look for in a tech school:
instructor lead classes
hands on computer labs
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, a reasonable amount of time for the class. i mean, how much can you really learn in a couple of weeks. the class i took went for 6 weeks, 3 days a week with saturdays as an open lab just to fool around. the entire MCSE took 5 months with another 6 weeks for A+ {if you plan on going that far}. with a proper education, you wont have nearly the problems that some peeps have if you kow how this stuff really works. at least 1 time in every class i was like "so thats why that didnt work" or "thats where i was making the mistake". allso, there is nothing like having someone around who can answer the exact questions you have that are creating the confusion for you.
i completed my A+, MCP, MCSA and MCSE. hard work but well worth it. i got a lot of really good contacts and made lots of friends from that little tech school.
hope this helps
AJ
PS. did i mention i teach for that little tech school now? best job i have ever had. we get pizza a few times a week with the students and stay late for some mad LAN gaming about every night. :wink:
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mark H » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:57 am

If you don't want to go he class route at this time, go to your local bookstore and buy a copy of "Networking for Dummies". Good basic networking book.
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby colinJohn » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:05 am

classes are probably best but in the meantime there's some stuff here. I found the tutorials useful

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

but if, like me, you find reading web pages tiresome when they involve hard to understand stuff and need a lot of thinking about and re-reading (or a lot adverts) buy a good book. I found 'the absolute beginners guide to networking' from QUE useful - despite it's title it's quite demanding.

http://www.quepublishing.com/title/0789729113

probably not the best but it's a start
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby snap355 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:44 am

I would agree with classes as well. Maybe start with the A+/Network+ cert
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby HollowPoint69 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:53 am

Hmmm.

Considering how I am in school, and I'm 14, can these classes be on the weekend or in the summer or after school or something? And where would I find them?
HollowPoint69

Postby snap355 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:00 am

HollowPoint69 wrote:Hmmm.

Considering how I am in school, and I'm 14, can these classes be on the weekend or in the summer or after school or something? And where would I find them?

Check your local uni or college. They do offer it for students. And these schools are usually cheaper than schools dedicated to teaching PC and networking classes
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Return to Networking