Problem connecting 2x XP with LinkSys Wireless-G router

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Problem connecting 2x XP with LinkSys Wireless-G router

Postby filecore » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:35 am

Having a few problems (mixed wired/802.11g home network, not connected to the internet)...

Basically, I have a LinkSys Wireless-G Broadband router (WRT54G) which I have connected to two machines, both running Windows XP Pro. Both machines can see and detect the network, and I can access the router's setup utility from either, but they cannot see each other when trying to map network drives or send things accross the network. I have tried everything I can think of and consulted both the LinkSys documentation as well as the networking document at the top of this forum and others, but to no avail.

I have done the following (and probably a few I've forgotten):

- shared all hard drives etc
- set both computers to automatically obtain IP and DNS via DHCP (this is switched 'on' on the router, although I have also tried assigning static IP addresses)
- set both computers to the domain FILENET (this is case sensitive for wireless, so I have fully capitalised throughout)
- set My Computer -> Properties -> Remote to allow remote desktop connections
- disabled all other software firewalls, including ZoneAlarm Pro and Microsoft's ICF
- disabled the hardware firewall on the router (just in case)
- made sure all Microsoft properties are set to 'on' in services.msc/msconfig

Each machine can detect itself on the network when I select 'Map Network Drive', but neither can see the other. Am I missing something obvious here?

Other problems include: connection to the router's configuration utility being dropped (it's over http) after about five minutes, and not being able to be re-established short of rebooting the computer (resetting the router appears to do nothing). I also have a second-hand Lexmark MarkNet Pro 1 wired print server which can print its test page fine, but which I also cannot find over the network.

The only conclusion that I can come to is that all the machines are set up properly and the problem lies somewhere within the router or its settings. Since things like DHCP are set to automatic and I even disabled its inbuilt firewall (broadband is coming, 6-8 weeks!), then I'm afraid I have no idea what it could be. I even tried resetting all the settings to factory defaults, but no luck there either.

Addendum:

In the time since first composing this message, I find that during my recent absence, my CD burner has "stopped working". When a blank CD is inserted, clicking on the drive gives a "D:/ is not accessible. Incorrect function" message, which never used to happen. In addition to this, I have now lost the "Send to -> Drive D:" option on my context menu, which leaves me with no way to burn non-ISO CD content (programs such as IsoBuster and Alcohol 120% still recognise the drive as a CD burner, but they burn only ISO files. Oh wait I have Nero too... still, that doesn't help my girlfriend who just likes to do the Send To D: option).
Home server: Asus P5Q Pro, Core2Quad, 8GB DDR2, ENGTX260 876MB, Zalman 800w, Antec P180 case, 2x1TB and 2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Windows 7 64-bit, etc

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ajrox » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:14 am

create a work group between the 2 computers. you can try the network wizard or something a little quiker and less confusing IMHO.
try this:
on the first PC,
right click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES.
click the COMPUTER NAME tab
now click the CHANGE button.
add the name of the work group you want to use and click OK
SIDE NOTE: add at least 1 number or character to the work group name if you have changed this allready. EX: from superman to superman1
reboot when prompted.
the 1st PC needs to reboot completely back into windows as it will be doing some of the authentication on your work group.
after PC1 is back into windows, do the same for PC2.
easy money! now try to map shares and copy info accross your network.
if it still doesn't work, try a couple of these things:
1} turn of the windows fire wall, your behind a router now.
2} be sure you have the proper IPaddressing info and subnet mask:
check it by doing this: start / run and type CMD. at the command prompt type IPCONFIG /ALL on both PCs and check the info between the two.
the IP addresses , subnetmask, default gateway and DNS server address in particular.
3} be sure windows has file and printer sharing enabled in the local area connection properties for your wireless connection.
right click MY NETWORK PLACES and select PROPERTIES. right click on the WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION for the wireless connection and select PROPERTIES. in the list that is before you, you'll see 2 things that need a check by them:
CLIENT FOR MICROSOFT NETWORKS
FILE AND PRINT SHARING FOR MICROSOFT NETWORKS
4} if you get a user name and password dialoge box when attempting to contact a share, put in a username and password with privilages to the share you created AND CHECK THE BOX "RECONNECT AT LOGON"
hope this helps
good luck
AJ
PS.. if you ever have a domain and a PC drops and wont reconnect to it, create a work group on the troubled PC and then reboot when prompted. then have it rejoin the domain { by putting in the domain name instead of the work group name} reboot when prompted.
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby filecore » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:31 am

Thanks for that, don't have time to read it all now but I did notice a reference to IPCONFIG /ALL which I have tried before, but it scrolls up and then the window vanishes immediately. What should I put to get the window to stay so I have time to read it? I tried using scroll lock but again, once I release the text it goes too quickly. Help!

---

EDIT: Never mind, found it... it's (for others who need to know) Start -> Run -> cmd /k ipconfig /all
Home server: Asus P5Q Pro, Core2Quad, 8GB DDR2, ENGTX260 876MB, Zalman 800w, Antec P180 case, 2x1TB and 2x2TB Samsung Spinpoint F1, Windows 7 64-bit, etc

Work server: HP ProLiant ML350 G6, hexacore Xeon E5645 2.4GHz (12 logical cores), 16GB DDR3, 3x300GB SAS RAID5, Server 2008 R2, nVidia GT560Ti 1GB for Hyper-V RemoteFX acceleration
filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby gutt3d » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:08 am

filecore - do you mean that the computers can't see each other in "My Network Neighbourhood"? (Or whatever the equivalent is for XP?)

If so, it's probably something simple like a MS browser issue - that's the domain master browser, controlled by the computer browser service.

It might be that both PCs are trying to be the master browser on the network which means that the network neighbourhood will be messed up.

Simple way to go is to just stop the computer browser service on one of the XP machines. Set it to manual restart (not auto) and then reboot both machines. When they come back up, only 1 XP machine will participate in browser elections and so only one machine will then be the master browser. If the problem is related to the browser elections, then this will solve the prob.

More info can be found here: http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/win ... ER_BROWSER

Dan.
gutt3d
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby filecore » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:00 am

Okay, after a clean install of XP Pro and upgrade to SP2 on both machines (solved other unrelated issues, different on each machine, but was overdue anyway) I finally got them networking... well halfway, anyway. I did the Master Browser thing on PC1 and I can now use it to map network drives on PC2, but oddly - although PC2 can see PC1's name when I try to map network drives - I cannot expand this list and see any of the shared resources from PC1. One-way sharing? I assume some setting is wrong but since I just did a clean install on both then the same settings, I can't figure it out. The only differences are that PC2 has a wireless card while PC1 is wired, and that I set that registry thing to PC1 Master Browser=TRUE while it's FALSE on PC2, which seems to make sense. I can't figure it out.

Halfway there!!

There's still the problem of the network printer (Lexmark MarkNet Pro 1 print server) which came secondhand with no software, and the stuff I found and downloaded doesn't seem to be able to find it. Anyone who has experience with these, reply please!

filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ajrox » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:09 am

the network printer is a TCP/IP printer? {connects via network cables?}
AJ
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby filecore » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:11 am

No... the printer is a bog standard HP LaserJet 4L, which connects to the print server via parallel. I can press buttons on the print server to get a test page, which gives me the MAC address and IP address of the printer, but I'm not sure how to use them to access it. I don't think it supplies anything else of much use though.

filecore
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby snap355 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:17 am

It takes time for PCs to become master browsers and collect info and such. It's not an instantaneous thing. But I'm glad that you can browse between the PCs now.

As for the printer, you would have to add a TCP/IP port to it and make the IP static, not dynamic. Let me know if you need more info on this. If it's connected to a print server (PC), then that PC has to be added on LTP1 port and then you can share the printer so that others can print to it
[url=http://www.motherboards.org/folding/index.html] Lend a hand and help with the folding project. Come join our 33258 team!

[/url]
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ajrox » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:14 am

you might want to check this thing for a network connection. sounds like it has a jet direct card in it if its spitting out an IP address.
you need to map a local port to the IP address of the printer.
set it up as though it were a local printer connected directly to your computer.
click on the add printer wizard and select local printer connected directly to miy computer. uncheck auto detect my PnP printer as were going to add our own settings.
select next.
click on CREATE NEW PORT.
click the drop down arrow and select STANDARD TCP/IP PORT.
click next untill you get to the screen where it asks you to insert a printer name or IP address. put in the IP address of the printer and then click next.
it might eventually ask for a driver location so have it handy if windows doesn't have a driver in its list.
next, next, next...etc..etc..
print a test page.
hopefully it worked. just resetup the IP printer where im at and it worked.
good luck
AJ
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree